From sea to shining sea

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

From sea to shining sea

Post by ADC »

Hey, all.

So, I'm toying with a new course, just for fun, and it's a seaside links. Am pleased to discover that this architect really isn't too different from the old PGA game, at least when it comes to drawing shapes. But I was wondering if could ask you guys for some design input.

Maybe I'm still stuck in PGA mode, but is it better to make oceans as water templates that run to the edge of the plot, or setting the basic plot template as water, and building the course on an "island?" This game has a huge view length that PGA just couldn't do, and it's tripping me up. Any tips for creating "seamless" seas at the edge of the plot?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: From sea to shining sea

Post by BrianZ111 »

You don't need to create an island like in PGA. Your shape can be a water texture and just cover the one side of the plot with ocean. Unlike PGA, shapes in WGC can cross each other and go off the edge of the plot so they are a lot easier to work with. As for whether ocean should be done with the engine water or a texture, it's been done both ways and there really isn't a perfect answer. The WGC engine water only works well for ponds or small lakes. Far away ocean looks better as a texture. The problem is if you can hit into it. You can make it hazard but the ball won't disappear and it doesn't look good close up.
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: From sea to shining sea

Post by ADC »

Thanks, BZ. I can see the point of using both. This game is far more powerful than I expected, but that does make for a lot of freedom.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.