CustomPlay Golf

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: CustomPlay Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Best way to buy it is through the portal. If you don't have the portal, download it here: http://www.redchaingames.com/portal.htm. Then go to the store tab in the portal, it's called World Golf Challenge 2011 now.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I checked out that video-trailer of the game. Eh, LOL it is still not a "serious golf-sim!" They still had the same goofy-looking swing animations for the golfers (which were not very accurate). They also had golfers putting through sand traps and rough! LOL

Summary- In the immortal words of Ebenezer Scrooge, "Bah-Humbug!"
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Copied from: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=270&p=3168#p3155
sandwedge wrote: Brian,

Probably not the place to post this but where do you go to get a copy of this game? Are they still in business or are only old versions of it left like with PGA? What is the link for their website? Is it a game for designers only or does it bring strong gameplay to the table as well? Heard a lot of conflicting stuff about the game - I know some of the PGA guys went there and have always been curious I guess.
They are building a brand new game that will release sometime next year so right now it's kind of in a weird transition over there. They've been pretty quiet about it lately. There was talk that they might release the current version of the game for free in an effort to try to build a larger buying audience for the new version next year. Right now you can't even buy the game though as they've removed the store. Not sure if this is in preparation for the free release or what.
I hope they do it because it's pretty dead over there. Fewer people than we have left over here in PGA. There's a group of about 6-8 of us that play online on Fridays nights but that's about it.

As far as game play I can only tell you about the mouse swing as I've never played 3 click in that game. The putting is really incredibly realistic, better than PGA. Biggest difference is there's a premium on putt speed. You can't just jam it in and have the hole suck it up like you can see in PGA. You'd be there putting all day if you tried it, it is as hard to make putts as it is in real life. The full swing I think is comparable to PGA now. It doesn't have the tempo factor incorporated but the fade/draw and push/pull misses are very similar now. One thing they don't have down right yet is chipping. The ball comes off low and with a lot of run. Even with a club like a SW it comes off like an 8i. I hardly ever use it. When I'm around the greens I just use a full swing with reduced power. That's pretty sensitive with the mouse though so I hope this is something they fix in the next version.

There's other issues too that I know they are going to address in the new version like the 3D graphics. They aren't the best, especially if you don't have enough video card power to run at the highest settings. You can put 2D objects in with the designer but they look out of place unless they are off in the distance out of play. The golfer models and swing animations aren't very good. Streams can't be made because what they use for water is always flat. The terrain can't get quite as detailed as you can in PGA, for example a 2 inch drop of a bunker lip can't really be done. There are other minor things that I can't think of off the top of my head. I haven't done a complete course yet but I do hope to. One really nice thing is I was able to convert the elevations from my PGA architect file for The Ridges to DEM and then to the game. Came in pretty good and gave me a big head start on things there.

I guess most of that doesn't bother me because game play is the most important thing to me and everything else just has to be good enough. I'd say the primary reason I play it more than PGA is the more realistic putting. I don't really play it much though, haven't had the time, really only 18 once a week with the other guys on Fridays. I haven't really fired up PGA in a couple months now.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Well I am intrigued - thanks for bumping this thread. Certainly can't beat a free full version to try out. On the other hand where is the game gonna go if the community is shrinking? I tried the redchaingames link and it doesn't seem to have anything up for Custom Play. Do you have another link? When I Google I get quite a few and am not sure which is the official link or the current link or at least the one I should be checking in on for news on the game from time to time.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah it looks like they removed the portal from their website. It was a couple weeks ago they removed the store from the portal so you couldn't buy the game anymore. They haven't said anything so I don't know what's going on. If I find anything out I'll post here.

The game name was changed about a year ago to World Golf Challenge 2011 by the way. The unofficial community forum for the game is here: http://www.24-hrnetwork.com/forums/foru ... red-games/
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I asked about it over there (http://www.24-hrnetwork.com/forums/topi ... entry17068) and you can get the portal from another community site, you'll have to register there to download it: http://worldofgolfonline.com/wog-downlo ... mes-portal. Once you have the portal installed you can download the demo. You might just want to wait a week or two and see if they do release a free version though because it sounds like you won't need the portal then.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

"You might just want to wait a week or two and see if they do release a free version though because it sounds like you won't need the portal then."

Thanks so much Brian - I think I will do that. Appreciate all the trouble you went through - I thought it had changed to Hank Haney, well I can't remember the rest of it now, but that sounds like what I heard. Guess I still have hope for a PC golf game that is supported. The new Tiger Woods 2012 for the PC looks to be nothing more than a sales pitch for the online version. Nothing even like 08 or even with all the features of the console versions. CPG or what it is called now seems to still be a potential option. I will check the link you posted for awhile for more info - Thanks :)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes the Hank Haney version is another version of the game that was sold on CD in stores. I don't recommend that version though because it didn't get any of the updates after that version came out. The updates are done through the portal and that version doesn't come with the portal.

I'll let you know if I hear anything about the free version.
lonewolf
Range Rookie

Post by lonewolf »

Excuse me Brian, do you know where it's possible to find the add-on's and the CPG courses that were on the portal until some months ago ?

Thanks and regards.
Lonewolf
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Not sure what you mean, the courses in the portal are still available there. If you don't have the portal you can get it here: http://worldofgolfonline.com/wog-downlo ... mes-portal

The other user created courses and addons can be downloaded at either http://www.24-hrnetwork.com/forums/files/ or http://www.worldofgolfonline.com/