So, what are you up too?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

So, what are you up too?

Post by Polslad »

Well, a month int the New Year finds me with 4 distinct ongoing actions within the PGA game.

1. I have been DL and playing every course on Dars A list, spread over off-line season play. Still have just over 100 to go.
2. I have 11 holes of Royal Birkdale complete, elevation-wise. Still a way to go on that one.
3. I have the landplot supplied by Brian to start work on a PGA rendition of Shinnecock Hills.
4. I have built the World Tour schedule sugeested in another post on here, with all the suggested courses. I aim to play that, and I'm thinking of writing a review for each of the featured courses, some old favourites included on that schedule.

All of this on a few hours a week around my work schedule.
Now you know why I don't post so much!
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Re: So, what are you up too?

Post by Pyecraft »

OMG Pols, you're a machine!
a "what are you up to' thread is truly a great idea to keep the forum connected. There maybe quite a few of us left still who are working away at some or other pga stuff, with differing activity rates of course. No harm in uploading say, every Friday for instance, your latest progress, even if its a only a shifting of planting or some such change from a previous post. Always a chance that a following tip might help its perspective.
Personally, I'm working on Snowdonia version 32,657. But, having built all new trees inc shadows and top views, grasses and play textures, I think the plot is finally ready for accepting the planting, fencing and so on without further disruption. Passed the 720,000 detail points at one stage before white-outs began shutting the arch down. Have since halved that number and the plot seems none the worse for it, certainly easier on the nerves.
Will try getting some finishing touches done and post a pic of the last work done before Friday.
Would be interesting to what others are up to at that point, also Duncan! :nod:
May the only balls you slice be your own
msmvet
Chronic Slicer

Post by msmvet »

Hi guys, after taking so much from this blog, I decided to give something back to the community. I'm attempting to do my first real course rendition, the new Blue Monster in Trump National Doral. So far, I got all the course shapes dropped, and major bunker elevations done. Downloaded hundreds of pics, got a few 2D elements and buildings, textures set, and cart paths almost finished. Now, I have to do major elevation work on the course and greens, the problem is that I don't have any maps or elevations references, so I would have to try to copy drops and slopes from videos and pics. If someone got something to help making it more accurate I really appreciate. Later I will upload some pics of what I got until today. I think I would have to wait until the real Cadillac championship to get more material to work from.
Glad to see that several things are still going on PGA2000.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

msmvet! Doral is a fairly flat south Fla. course with minor elevations in area's. The biggest thing's are it's length and tougher greens then it use to have. Brian might be able to help with a program he's familar with or just use plenty of picture's, video's and google earth. PGAtour.com usually has hole by hole video's of course's on the tour. It may not be avalible to see until the week they play though.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

When I first started doing real course recreaeation I thought the same, had to get every bump, dip and dell, and in exactly the right place.
Now I don't beat myself up.
I work from pictures, overheads and hole guides.
Get the yardages right, the major elevations, any signature features etc and the plantings to match the real thing.
All you are trying to do is create a layout that looks like the real thing, and gives the impression of playing there.
As for greens, unless you have detailed maps, or know the greens by heart, such as Augusta, a little bit of artistic liciense is OK to add some movement and contouring.
I don't believe you will ever create a 100% accurate green.
This might not sit well with some of the purists that where once around our game, but at the end of the day that's all it is, a game.
We have had guys in the past that would spend years on research and trying to build certain courses, they still may be for all I know.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

David - you really are a machine mate. Admire your dedication despite the dwindling returns in d/l etc. Great stuff. Also agree with you on the real course renditions...

msmvet - lovely news we have more architects coming in :) Good luck with your new course - you're picking a great track. Any help or tips you need just shout you've got over 15 years experience from a lot of us here - and we're delighted to help.

Pye - keep going on Snowdonia mate - love the latest grab and will comment on the specific thread.

As for me - I'm in planting HELL. SOOOOOoooooo bored of it. 'Open-world' approach sounded a great idea at the time, but it is utterly unforgiving aesthetically. Everywhere I look needs real effort to plant realistically. There are literally no trees to hide behind because I unwisely chose the flippin' Serengeti as the location. I've got all 18 done now and putting/chipping green are done. Just need to build the driving range and plant this monstrosity but it is so much work...
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Birkdale Plot2.jpg
(262.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Here's the current plot for Birkdale.
3 holes to complete elevations on before I start on textures and plantings.
Using Terry's technique for drawing a shape around each hole and dropping it.
This seems to contain any damage to a localised area of one hole, and also eliminates changes to the whole course when you optimise the main texture, keeps everything local.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

birkdale.jpg
(95.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
working each hole as a seperate, contained design is the best way to control elevation troubles Pols, especially toward a designs end. Just look at how many 'points' you've produced already. I wouldn't have thought Birkdale contained so much elevation change until I went googlin' it awhile. One of the great misunderstandings toward a links course from parkland fans don't you think? Was looking for a railway line in there somewhere but I'm guessing that'll be hidden from Birkdale play by the Hilllside course?
Tough challenge for you my friend, but one you're well up for and not even an hour's drive away if you need to go get photos. :)
May the only balls you slice be your own
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Hi all. I'm still among the breathing. Honestly I lost all interest in the game, but I've been getting back into it lately. After barely playing for the past couple of years it's like a brand new game which makes it more interesting. I still need to get all the courses reinstalled, stopped on "N" some time ago. I'm going to have to check out the new courses as well.

Be good, all.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

:wavey: Glad to see you are still around Indy!