Chloe Ann Golf Club by Steve Opfer [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Chloe Ann Golf Club by Steve Opfer [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Chloe Ann Golf Club (57.7 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: Opfer
Date: 7/28/2015
Libraries Used: arrowheadgc, augusta2001, bullock_run, coosbay, cypress, northamerican, oceanside, parkland, thelegacy, woodfordpark
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Re: Chloe Ann Golf Club by Steve Opfer [New Course]

Post by seopfer »

The course also uses the Bullock Run and North American Woods libraries. These were not listed in the Course Manager software but they are listed in the Architect software and objects from those libraries ARE IN the course itself, so users will need to have these libraries installed as well.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused! I think this is the result of last minute changes overwriting the already installed course file. Apparently, the Course Manager software doesn't update the course properties section after a course is installed and overwritten by the Architect software.
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Libraries required have been updated on the site.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Great work, as to be expected from one of the original architects of the game.
Everything to the high standard.
Very good on the eye.
Front nine is very user friendly, get your score locked in there, because the back nine is where the course shows it's teeth.
Definately a game of 2 halfs.
Will be added to the list of A grade courses on my hard drive.

Thanks Steve, hope you enjoyed tinkering around under the old hood.
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

Thanks Polsdad! Yes, I loved tinkering around under the hood! Brought back a lot of great memories. Also, I never realized it before, but you're right about the back nine being tougher than the front nine. I designed the holes in order, so maybe that had something to do with it. I can assure you, though, it was not intentional. I kind of like, however, that it turned out that way.

Thanks again for the kudos!

Steve
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

BTW--- Scored +40 on my own course tonight. Got +31 just on the front side. So much for the "teeth in the back nine" concept. :/

Of course, water eating me alive on the front nine did it. I never thought to put in drop areas. Actually, you can't on number 3; it is what it gives you if you overshoot the green. Good luck with that! I did put in a couple of drop areas, but--in my play--they never really seem to come up when you need them...only when you're dropping for the third friggin' time.

LOL Still, this is the kinda course that gets under my skin and MAKES me want to beat it. The "Perfect Computer Golfer" scores a -5 to -4 on the course every time. He does make some really goofy misses on eagle putts, though, so it should be a tad better score....almost like he misses the eagle on purpose.

Steve
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I've been playing PGA 2000 again the last few weeks. My scores are starting to come around so I figured I was ready to give this one a try and I was right, shot my best round yet since starting play again, 37 on the front and 35 on the back for a +1 72. My goal in the old days was to break par each time I played so starting to knock on the door of it now. The key here is just to keep it in play. I made a lot of pars and then was really able to take advantage of the extra par 5's on the back, I birdied all three of them. I think the back 9 probably is tougher, I just played better on it. Fun course, hope you keep designing more. :up:
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

Actually, after scoring a +24, I let my "perfect Player", a computer generated player, do a round, and he scored -11. He doesn't get a lot of birdies unless they're staring him in the face. He also can't get eagles unless he's only 10 feet away or so, but I have noticed that he plays a VERY controlled game where he hits a lot of fairways and greens. On the par 3s, he hits the green, buts he's usually a long way away from the pin and hits par. On the other hand, a lot of the par 5s he gets on in three, then putts for birdie...or, if he's close, he gets eagle. With three par 5s on each loop, I think that's where he's making his score. It's essentially, doing good course management. I often try to reach the par 5s in two and that screws me up 'cause I'm not putting or chipping from the same distance he his, but I'm doing it off the green in the rough where's he's putting on the green. He's dropping those putts and I'm not. He's also not hitting the water and having to drop. That KILLS my score when I do that. Then again, he's not EVER hitting into the water, whereas I am on practically every hole. I don't know what's wrong with my three and four irons, but I can't hit them for crap. Even though its my course, I really, really hate it. It tears me up 'cause I can't hit that three and four iron worth crap. My "Perfect Golfer" computer player, however, consistently shoots 10 or 11 under par every round. I can't even shoot below +5. Then again, I hit the water about three times a round or get hung up in the weeds next to the water and have to chip my way out. That blows up a score in no time....just like I do in REAL golf.

Steve
hookster
Chronic Slicer

Post by hookster »

Well 1st off I want to start by saying beautiful job on this. Just played it for the 1st time and you`re gonna hate me for this.
Before I post my scores, please keep in mind that I play online every day with the die hards that are still around.
Played front and back on ave dry breezy. Front- Shot -9 with pars on 7 and 8 both eagles were within 30 inches. Back 9 I shot -10 with a par on 17 had 2 more eagles missed the third by inches. Wish I was shooting it with the guys really enjoyed it. Besides then I would have a witness lol. Keep em coming guys. We always enjoy playing the new ones. Sure is nice to see that some of u guys are still designing. Would be cool to see a few more join us in kali to shoot with us. Remember folks u dont need xp to play on line with us. There a program called virtual xp which most of us use. some on windows 7 and some on 8.1
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

Well 1st off I want to start by saying beautiful job on this. Just played it for the 1st time and you`re gonna hate me for this.
Before I post my scores, please keep in mind that I play online every day with the die hards that are still around.
Played front and back on ave dry breezy. Front- Shot -9 with pars on 7 and 8 both eagles were within 30 inches. Back 9 I shot -10 with a par on 17 had 2 more eagles missed the third by inches. Wish I was shooting it with the guys really enjoyed it. Besides then I would have a witness lol. Keep em coming guys. We always enjoy playing the new ones. Sure is nice to see that some of u guys are still designing. Would be cool to see a few more join us in kali to shoot with us. Remember folks u dont need xp to play on line with us. There a program called virtual xp which most of us use. some on windows 7 and some on 8.1
Thanks! Don't hate you for the great scores. That shows me the limits of the course, what it's potential is. In fact, I'm PROUD of you!! Way to go!

Glad to hear you still play with all the "die hards"; I know some here were trying to re-establish that online connection. I hope that comes about in future play! That's where the REAL excitement is, in my opinion.

The whole point of going with that kinda wacko equal amounts of par 3, par 4, par 5s on each loop was a test. I wondered if it would help scoring or hinder it. I love puzzles; hence, that's why I love designing computer golf courses 'cause I think it's the "best" puzzle 'cause you can interact with it numerous times with many different outcomes. Sounds to me like you "solved the puzzle." In keeping with my previous designs, I hope it was because of thoughtful course management.

I remember Jack Nicklaus was criticized for a design that included a narrow green (depth-wise) fronted by a bunker. The shot from the tee required that dreaded three or four iron that stuck the green like it had glue on the ball. The country club that contracted him was not happy with the course; that par 3 was considered grossly unfair by a majority of the members. Jack said show me. He went out to the par 3 in question, dropped a bucket of balls, and hit everyone of them within birdie distance from the hole. He turned to the clients and said "I don't see a problem with it. It stays the same; I'm not changing it at my expense. Maybe the problem is your members don't know how to play golf. Tough luck. You hired me to design a challenging course, I gave it to you, and it plays fine. I suggest your members up their game to play the course you bought from me. I thought that was the general idea behind our contract: create a challenging course. I did that. Now pay me my money."

They did. :)

I hope, in spite of your low scores, that's how this course plays for you. I hope you're doing a huge "whoo hoo" when you do get those eagles and birdies. That's exactly why I chose to create so many Par 5s and Par 3s. It translated in my mind, not in my skills--sorry to say, as "scoring opportunity", but--with that--I also hope the course says "you will pay dearly if you get greedy and restless"---which is exactly how I play golf ...in PGA 2000 and in real iife. ;) I'm a grip it and rip it sort. In that spirit, however, it does reward the player who is gutsy enough to pull out driver in the fairway on some of those Par 5s. THAT is a totally grip it and rip it mentality. Of course, you have to be in the right place in the fairway to choose that option and your tee shots don't necessarily put you there without skill and some luck. I assume you did that.

Your own great play and my sloppy play sums up how I designed this course: reward the smart player and just torture the living daylights out of the stupid player. I think that makes for a good course that people of every caliber can play and have fun with. The ones who are defeated by it want to come back and conquer it and the ones who toast it want to come back and capture/relive that gratification. (This is where the tournament mode, galleries, and announcing come into play.) Let's face it; fun is the name of the game! Sounds like it was loads of fun for you and that's one of the most gratifying things I can hear as a designer.

Thanks for the comments!!! :) :)

Steve
opfer@cox.net