Champions Course at Cumberland by Steve Horn [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Champions Course at Cumberland by Steve Horn [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Champions Course at Cumberland (14 MB)
Type: Fictional, Oceanside
Designer: Steve Horn
Date: 8/20/2013
Libraries Used: Castle_Stewart, chiltonhills, cypress, neswild, oceanside, portmarnock, TerraFab, victoria, woodfordpark
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Champions Course at Cumberland by Steve Horn [New Course

Post by bryce »

I decided to tee it up at this course today, and I played with l/vd/b conditions. Starting off, I notice how Steve always puts the objects around the tees to make you feel like you are really out there; i.e. carts, trash cans, ball washers. After a birdie on 1, I started to regret playing very dry greens. These things are incredibly hilly! The entire course is extremely hilly, not just the greens though. I am also noticing how tough the layout is, especially when I thought I hit a decent tee shot on the 3rd hole:
cumberland3.jpg
(703.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I hacked it around the rest of the hole to the tune of a double bogey, which was a recurring theme from there on out. In fact, on the 11th hole, I 6 putted for a quintuple bogey 9 :/ The course seemed to get harder to me with the green speed and pin locations and I struggled to end up with an 81 (+9). However, I managed to find a bright spot on the par 5 14th hole with this miracle. That is me in the red circle:
cumberlandeagle.jpg
(345.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The Good

I really like the usage of objects that Steve always places throughout his courses. It makes for a realistic look to me. The ocean views were spectacular, and gave me something to look at while I hacked the place up. The planting was well above average, especially with the bushes and flowers. The layout was very good, with no 2 holes looking remotely the same. The par 3's were my favorite part of the course. They all played differently with varying lengths, and were very eye appealing.

The Not So Good

The only thing I really can say I didn't like, was the fact that the course may have been a little too hilly. There are some massive elevation changes, that could be real, but would not be fun to play golf on. There were some nasty pin locations if you play on very dry (like me), so I suggest medium speed greens to play this course.

Overall

A give this course a B+. Just a little too hilly for an A, but that's just my view. Either way, it's another fine effort by Steve, and I will definitely be playing this one again. I know I can do better!

Thank you Steve, for another great course!

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron Thanks for the review. I ussually say in my notes (not this time though) that playing on very dry there's is no guarantee of how fair the course will play. Exspecially with a fast texture like the one I choose for this course. In my opinion very dry should be extremely challenging and not recommended unless you crave a possible bad round or in a tourny on random. I always make sure to the best of my albility that the pins are fair on the dry setting. This course was designed to hopefully be a challenge for some of the best this sim has to offer but not overly long.
I'm a little suprised you thought the course is extremely hilly. Only #1 #4 #9 #10 #11 and #18 have a large hill shot either up or down.. The swamp holes #5 #6 #7 are pretty flat. The rest have pretty normal amount of slope or hills. I hope you'll play it again on anything but very dry because it takes a few rounds to get to know the course and the best club selection for certain holes. Read my hole by hole for helpful hints. I will say that in my play testing I never broke par but I didn't play like I would if it's a tournament. This is the most challenging course I've ever released. The only two others that are even close to this tough are Point Reyes National and Pine Haven East.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I have gotten to play a few rounds on Steve's latest offering now so thought I would offer a review:

What I liked:
The swamp holes, as Steve calls them, are amazing - the object placement and planting are solid - the layout is challenging - the sound is appropriate

What I think can be improved:

I think the pano doesn't really give the feel of a course in Georgia as it does not blend with the surroundings well (but you can turn it off if you want and that is what I have chosen to do while playing) - the fairway elevations do not look natural to me on some of the holes

Overall Impressions:I played my rounds, on this course and Jutlandia, Ryder Cup Style as we are playtesting the 1880's list right now. I do not have actual round scores but I can tell you that you will get the same kind of challenge at Cumberland that we have come to expect from one of Steve's courses. With a change to the pano and more blending of elevation work on some of the holes this would be an A lister. As it is, a fun and challenging B list course with some spectacular holes in the swamp. Thanks so much Steve for the course!
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, I played it 2 more times last night and randomly drew medium greens. Much better rounds of 68 and 70! I have just set it to random lately, and will play any of them except wet. The course has some hills to where I couldn't see anything ahead of me except for a hill, like short of #18. Not a big deal, but some people want to be able to see everything in front of them. I still like the course and will be keeping it!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Sandwedge & Doron! Thanks for taking time to play the course. I wanted to make something a little different, unique and challenging. I really wanted to do a wetlands course but really only wanted to do a few holes.I'll probably do something a little more standard next time.
Doron in my season play I play in all conditions with wet and very dry only once in awhile occuring. I can say that I rarely have trouble on wet greens except Bay Hill is unplayable on wet. As fast as the greens are on this course it should be fine. I'm like you, I'm always hitting the #4 or #0 to get a good look from above at a hole even flat ones. I also keep the top view handy if I need it.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, this is what I meant:
cumberland18.jpg
(613.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It could be just how I have my monitor set up too, but from 60 yards away, I can't see any part of the green. Some will have an issue with that, since anything short of the green will ultimately roll back almost that far. It doesn't deter me from playing, as a matter of fact, I took in 18 when I got home from work s/d/c, and did well on the dry greens (68).

I use my overhead and green cams all the time, so I can always see where the hole is, how far to carry a bunker, etc. I use the right click distance and elevation info to my advantage with those views as well.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! I made #18 that way on purpose. I've never found myself where you are in any rounds so far. If your short with your approach it normally will roll down into the bunker or be in the thick rough or roll down the false front further to your right. It's very steep there (at least 25 feet uphill with a 60 to 70 yard wedge.) You must have been in one of the other bunkers off the tee and then not being able to hit it far enough laid up to that position or hit a wicked 385 yard plus drive. I realise its steep but that is the challenge of hole #18 with a bad approach. Using the overhead or the #4 or #0 buttons is defiantly a big help on holes like # 18. You can also move your golfer up to the green itself or anywhere you want to get a better look by holding down the shift key then clicking the mouse where you want to move to then clicking the move camera button. I do that frequintly also. Knowing how to hit a flop shot can be a big advantage in situations like that. Shooting under par on dry like you've done is AWESOME.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, I actually took that pic in practice mode. I went back to where I laid up at in my first round after hitting into a fairway bunker.