Royal Birkdale 2015 by Polslad [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Royal Birkdale 2015 by Polslad [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Royal Birkdale 2015 (22.9 MB)
Type: Real, Links-Like
Designer: Polslad
Date: 5/3/2015
Libraries Used: blends2, darnoch, turnberry_lib
Spaulding89
Weekend Duffer

Re: Royal Birkdale 2015 by Polslad [New Course]

Post by Spaulding89 »

Amazing work! Thank you for creating this and uploading it. ? Dare i ask Is anyone working on Chambers Bay?? Also BrianZ - any chance you have whistling straits.xcr file? (still can't get it working)
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Beautiful David. I really liked the planting with the grass in the heather. I'm not a big fan of links courses,but with this one you're making it very hard not to be a fan. Everything fits well together, the color of the grass,the rough,heather,long grass. Also the placement of the bushes,etc. I really don't have anything negative to say. Very well done oh Master of tents and dead grass. :)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Spaulding89 wrote:Also BrianZ - any chance you have whistling straits.xcr file? (still can't get it working)
I've replaced the file that was up with the .xcr version I have.
Spaulding89
Weekend Duffer

Post by Spaulding89 »

@BrianZ111 -- Thank you once again! I almost cried a little as i finally got to glimpse the wondorous behemoth that is Whistling Straits... and then i actually cried as i tried to play it lol

thanks Brian
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Thanks David for adding another course to our selection. I have only played 3 rounds thus far but let me give a mini review of my first impressions.

What I liked:
It has all of the nuances of a great user recreated course - the mounding, the bunkering, the blending of the horizon into the course, the extra things that you see on a tournament layout. As always, these things enhance the experience of being there and are a staple of any of David's designs.

What I continue to be puzzled by:
On a few of David's more recent designs, there always is this large pole in the middle of the fairway somewhere on the course. On this course it is on the 9th hole. I am not sure if this was a placeholder while designing that was never removed or an attempt at a hole marker or what. I do not like it - it seems out of place and surreal. I believe it is better off being removed as it spoils an otherwise fine course for me. David maybe you could shed some light? Am I missing something because it seems I am the only one who has pointed this out in the past - is it meant to be there? Not ever having played Royal Birkdale, I am unaware of what should be on each hole so forgive me in advance if there really is a 100 foot pole on the 9th fairway.

What I think about the course:
Ordinarily, I would say this is an A list course but for me at least, that pole thing is a bother. It is a fine course that plays well and is a much appreciated update to the stock version of the course. I have no issue recommending it as a download as is - you will enjoy it for sure. For now though, I will keep playing the stock version of Royal Birkdale.

Thanks again David for the design.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

It's a marker post for a blind drive from the tee.
Not sure if its there on the real course, but it's there in the stock version of the course, so I left it in.
I'm sure its not 100ft, surely?
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I think there's one on Fishers Island and one on the links holes on Elysium Fields.
They are deffinately supposed to be there, as in the real thing.
Again, markers for blind shots.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Oh, ok - my bad then. I don't think there are many choices for markers in the various libraries - makes sense that when one is sized slightly larger it gives that kinda look. I think I can play some more rounds then knowing what the marker is there for! I have never seen any kind of a marker in the fairway though - usually yardage markers are to the side - at least on the courses I can afford to play! That is what confused me I guess at first. I wish to change my review to say that this course is a keeper and a definite A lister for me! Thanks David!
msmvet
Chronic Slicer

Post by msmvet »

Execellent work David!!! I just played a couple of rounds and it will be my next Open venue!! Everything fits perfectly, pretty challenging on links conditions. Can´t wait to play here for the Claret Jug!!