Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Post by Viper »

Hi everyone!

Have some great news! I have a fix for the graphic issues under Win 10!

Download "DXWrap for PGA2000.zip" from the link below.
Extract "DXWrap.dll" from the zip to your PGA 2000 "Bin" folder. It will be the same folder your "PGAGolf.exe" is located to launch the game.
This file will overwrite the one you currently have. Backup your original if you wish.
When asked to overwrite say yes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73zi5nxyg7nud ... 0.zip?dl=0

PGA 2000 should now look great again!

The fix here should work for everyone and make the graphics return to normal under Win 10.

The following 3 steps below are required for a "perfectly" functioning PGA 2000 under Win 10. These steps cure other problems not directly related to the Win 10 graphic issues the fix resolves.

1. Set PGAGolf.exe to run in Win 8 compatibility mode. This will resolve the white screen flash as occurred on Win XP systems.
2. Set CourseManager.exe to Run as Admin. The course architect may not open without this step.
3. DO NOT bulk/mass install the 747 or so course libraries in the Course Manager. I have found library errors can occur and some libraries may not be read correctly causing certain courses to crash.
I tested installing 20 libraries at one time and closing the Course Manager after each batch of 20 library installs. This has given 100% successful results.

Please don't give me credit for the fix. One of the brilliant people out there fixing old games (narzoul) came up with the fix. I just did a little hex edit. You can give me credit for all the work in the 3 steps though. That was all me and took a while! lol
Last edited by Viper on January 15th, 2021, 5:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Westerner
Weekend Duffer

Re: Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Post by Westerner »

It works the same for me, using the demo version.
From what little I know, all I can suggest is an error in the programming somewhere.
In DDraw or maybe in the game?

The text up above shows up, so the menu items should too.
And the other menus in the game are unaffected.
Hope somebody gets it.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Westerner wrote:It works the same for me, using the demo version.
From what little I know, all I can suggest is an error in the programming somewhere.
In DDraw or maybe in the game?

The text up above shows up, so the menu items should too.
And the other menus in the game are unaffected.
Hope somebody gets it.
I had a quick play with some obvious Windows settings that generally can cause this type of thing and made no difference.
The DDraw.dll is not a final version so the menu issue may very well get resolved in time.
At least now the game is again totally playable for everyone.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

I have edited the opening post with a 100% fully functioning fix for PGA 2000 under Win 10! :up:
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for finding this Viper, it worked for me. if you can send a BIG THANK YOU to narzoul.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

DC#1 wrote:Thanks for finding this Viper, it worked for me. if you can send a BIG THANK YOU to narzoul.
I was never going to give up on this despite having a hardware set up myself to run old games and PGA 2000 on Win XP forever.
I've read comments here, there, in different places with people mentioning they want to play PGA 2000 but the problem was they had Win 10.
The fix should absolutely work for every person making PGA 2000 open to the world again. :up:
narzoul is a superstar!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Does this now fix the drop down menus issue also?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:Does this now fix the drop down menus issue also?
Yes it does!!!
PGA 2000 should run as perfectly as it did on Win XP, Win 98, whatever you used back in the day.
The course architect I find needs to be run as admin on my system with or without the new dll fix.
All other exe's I'm not running with any other compatibility settings.
It's all working perfectly!

Hope you get back to enjoying some tournaments and maybe even creating a course or two.
Same with DC#1 and anyone else who designs.
PGA is a great game and now it is back!
Westerner
Weekend Duffer

Post by Westerner »

The site admin should upload this file (DXWrap.dll) to this site's Utilities page.
So it won't be lost over time.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

He sure can but it'll also be safe with me. I've been on golf internet forums since the internet!
Kept tabs on all the golf games since the beginning PGA, Links, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus.
I'm not going anywhere. :up: