Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

Re: Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Post by Viper »

DC#1 wrote: May 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm I've had 1 crash since I installed the fix. How many crashes are we talking about?
I have a couple every round.
In your case, best to keep using DXWrap.dll :up:
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for the info Viper.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Since installing DXWrap.dll and adding it into the Bin folder of PGA2000 along with the previous fix I don't think I've had any crashes. Have played at least 8 rounds of tournament golf since the install. I do get these very small windows to pop up about using the keyboard to set up a certain shots.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:38 am I do get these very small windows to pop up about using the keyboard to set up a certain shots.
That would be nothing to do with DXWrap.dll
Maybe you have tips or something activated in a game option?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

By any chance, is there a solution provided by these files to the resolution limit? Running Windows 7 I don't have these files installed but ever since I got a 4k display I always have to lower the screen resolution in Windows to something below 2048 pixels in both directions in order to launch the game. It is kind of a pain, plus the game would look a lot better on a 32" screen if it could take advantage of 4k.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:16 am By any chance, is there a solution provided by these files to the resolution limit? Running Windows 7 I don't have these files installed but ever since I got a 4k display I always have to lower the screen resolution in Windows to something below 2048 pixels in both directions in order to launch the game. It is kind of a pain, plus the game would look a lot better on a 32" screen if it could take advantage of 4k.
I haven't looked at any of PGA's game files for resolution change possibilities but I highly doubt you can increase them any further.
Fore!play
Novice

Post by Fore!play »

I was so optimistic when I saw this thread, but like it seems others have experienced (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63536), this "fix" just doesn't work for me. The game won't even load for me with the fix version of DXWrap.dll. With the original version of DXWrap.dll, the game will at least load and it is in fact playable, if one can endure the technicolor ( :bg: ) for the all the animated objects (golfer, his shadow, flags, pin, and ball)!

I've already tried dgVoodoo (game freezes) and all of the different compatibility settings for PGAGolf.exe, so I get the sense I'm probably out of options... Perhaps I could try the 3.3.4.5 patch, but it seems from some of the info I've gathered on this forum that it's not likely to help. Are there any other suggestions I could try? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Fore!play wrote: June 11th, 2021, 2:39 pm I was so optimistic when I saw this thread, but like it seems others have experienced (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63536), this "fix" just doesn't work for me. The game won't even load for me with the fix version of DXWrap.dll. With the original version of DXWrap.dll, the game will at least load and it is in fact playable, if one can endure the technicolor ( :bg: ) for the all the animated objects (golfer, his shadow, flags, pin, and ball)!

I've already tried dgVoodoo (game freezes) and all of the different compatibility settings for PGAGolf.exe, so I get the sense I'm probably out of options... Perhaps I could try the 3.3.4.5 patch, but it seems from some of the info I've gathered on this forum that it's not likely to help. Are there any other suggestions I could try? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Ok, first, you should not need dgvoodoo. Suggest you remove it completely as it would likely be causing the issues.
Try DXWrap without dgvoodoo and if you still have problems, try DDraw.dll mentioned on the previous page in this thread.

If it still does not work post back. Preferably include system specs if possible.
If you can run PGA 2000 without dgvoodoo and without the fixes which leave you with the graphics problem, you should also successfully be able to run the game with the fixes.
Fore!play
Novice

Post by Fore!play »

Viper wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:56 pm
Fore!play wrote: June 11th, 2021, 2:39 pm I was so optimistic when I saw this thread, but like it seems others have experienced (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63536), this "fix" just doesn't work for me. The game won't even load for me with the fix version of DXWrap.dll. With the original version of DXWrap.dll, the game will at least load and it is in fact playable, if one can endure the technicolor ( :bg: ) for the all the animated objects (golfer, his shadow, flags, pin, and ball)!

Ok, first, you should not need dgvoodoo. Suggest you remove it completely as it would likely be causing the issues.
Try DXWrap without dgvoodoo and if you still have problems, try DDraw.dll mentioned on the previous page in this thread.

If it still does not work post back. Preferably include system specs if possible.
If you can run PGA 2000 without dgvoodoo and without the fixes which leave you with the graphics problem, you should also successfully be able to run the game with the fixes.
Viper, thanks for the prompt response! I read through this thread before I posted my request for help, but I guess I didn't read it carefully enough, because I completely missed the post about DDraw.dll. I removed the dgVoodoo components, reverted to the original DXWrap.dll, and downloaded and installed DDraw.dll per the directions on the previous page (Page 4) of this thread. (In other words, all I had to do was install the DDraw.dll file into the base game.) I'm happy to report that the game is running perfectly fine now (with no compatibility mode necessary for the PGAGolf.exe)! Crazy to be playing this game again for the first time in a couple of decades! :laugh: Thanks again!

By the way, if you're curious, I'm running the game on a potato laptop from 2015:
-CPU: Intel Core i7-4710 HQ
-Graphics: Integrated - Intel HD 4600
-RAM: 8 MB
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Fore!play wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:20 pm Viper, thanks for the prompt response! I read through this thread before I posted my request for help, but I guess I didn't read it carefully enough, because I completely missed the post about DDraw.dll. I removed the dgVoodoo components, reverted to the original DXWrap.dll, and downloaded and installed DDraw.dll per the directions on the previous page (Page 4) of this thread. (In other words, all I had to do was install the DDraw.dll file into the base game.) I'm happy to report that the game is running perfectly fine now (with no compatibility mode necessary for the PGAGolf.exe)! Crazy to be playing this game again for the first time in a couple of decades! :laugh: Thanks again!

By the way, if you're curious, I'm running the game on a potato laptop from 2015:
-CPU: Intel Core i7-4710 HQ
-Graphics: Integrated - Intel HD 4600
-RAM: 8 MB
Excellent! Great to read you have it going. DXWrap.dll should work perfectly fine as well if you ever need another option.
Thanks for posting the system specs. Helps for any future troubleshooting for others.