Wit & Wisdom of Golf

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Wit & Wisdom of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

I received a calender titled "Wit & Wisdom of Golf".
I'll post the daily entries. I need to catch up. :bg:

Jan 1
The tree overhanging the 12th hole at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California, is Known as "Bogey's Tree". During the 1940s and 1950s, actor Humphrey Bogart would sit under the tree, eat his lunch, and watch the Los Angeles Open.

Jan 2
" If you lose your temper, you will most likely lose the match." -Horace G. Hutchinson (Father of Golf Instruction)

Jan 3
In 1592, the Town Council of Edinburgh, Scotland, prohibited golf on Sundays.
The following year, it issued a similar ban that eased the prohibition a little, applying it to only during divine services. That apparently gave the golfers an opportunity to play in the afternoon unless a sermon was unusually long.

Jan 4
" Tommy Bolt's putter has more air time than Lindbergh" - Jimmy Demaret

Jan 5
When asked why he tees the ball high, Jack Nicklaus replied. " Through years of experience, I have found that air offers less resistance than dirt."

Jan 6
"Those who cannot drive suppose themselves to be good putters." -Sir Walter Simpson

Jan 7
For a number of years, the honorary starters for the Masters were major winners Freddie McLeod and Jock Hutchinson. They would play nine holes at the start of the tournament and then adjourn to enjoy the festivities. One year, after they had hit their drives and began walking down the fairway, one fan was overheard asking, " Do you think they'll make the cut?" Freddie turned and replied, "I just hope we'll make the first hill."

Jan 8
" If you hit it crooked, you'll find it --- but you won't like it." -Motto at Southern Hills, 1994 Golf Almanac

Jan 9
Joe Kirkwood had a business card on which was printed:
Tell your story of hard luck shots,
Of each shot straight and true,
But when you are done, remember, son,
Nobody cares but you. ( That is also inscribed on his tombstone. )

Jan 10
When Arnold Palmer was asked how he made 13 on a hole, he replied. " Easy. I missed a 20-footer for a 12.

Jan 11
Perhaps the first lady golfer was Mary, Queen of Scots. At least she was mentioned in print. When her first husband was murdered, she was observed playing golf in the fields beside Seton a few days after his death. That fact was brought out at her trial and she was beheaded. She really lost her head over the game.

More tomorrow.
Stan
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: Wit & Wisdom of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Jan 12
"When I want to really blast one, I just loosen my girdle and let 'er fly." - Babe Zaharias
Stan
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Good stuff Stan. Anyone who hasn't heard of Babe Zaharias doesn't realise what a great and dominate golfer she was. If you can I highly recommend the movie about her starring Susan Clarke & Alex Karris.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

She was a track star and a tennis phenom too wasn't she? She, along with Jim Thorpe, were the 2 most dominate athletes of the 20th century according to something I read a long time ago. <----How's that for credibility????
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Jan 13
In the 1930s, the USGA created a limit of 14 clubs in a bag to make the game more competitive for poorer golfers. Wealthier golfers would put as many as 30 clubs in their bags.
Stan
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Jan 14
"Be funny on a golf course?
Do I kid my best friend's mother about her heart condition?"
--Phil Silvers
Stan
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Stan Nehilla wrote:Jan 13
In the 1930s, the USGA created a limit of 14 clubs in a bag to make the game more competitive for poorer golfers. Wealthier golfers would put as many as 30 clubs in their bags.
In the 1930's I would have hated to be a caddie!
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Jan 15
"I never wanted to be a millionaire.
I just wanted to live like one." - - Walter Hagen
Stan
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Jan 16

Baseball's Ted Williams and golf's Sam Snead once got into a discussion about which game was harder to play. Williams pointed out that in golf the ball isn't moving and you hit off a flat surface. He added, "I gotta stand up there with a round bat and hit a ball that's traveling at me at around a hundred miles an hour, and curving."
Snead considered that for a moment, then responded: "yeah, Ted, but you don't have to go up in the stands to play your foul balls. Golfers do."
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Lol, I've read this one before. You only get one chance (by the real rules anyway), no balls or strikes, and if you get hit with a golf ball you don't get a free base out of it.