Downloading PGA

Help with questions or problems.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Downloading PGA

Post by LinksLegend »

Hey guys, been a while! I tried to d/l PGA game file from utilities but it doesn't seem to work. It downloads seemingly everything then comes up with a "cannot create uninstall" message and then can't load from the exe file in the folder created. Architect also won't load as it requests to "enter disk" - haven't used a CD in 10 years :)

Any clues?

Cheers,
LL
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Downloading PGA

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hey Links, good to here from you again! I have not heard of this issue. I still have CD drives on my computers so I've always still installed it from the CDs. That is about the only thing I've used them for in the last few years though. :laugh: I know at least some people over the years on here have used that installer successfully. What OS are you running? Could be yet another Windows 10 issue. :/ I have a small Windows 10 partition I can give it a try on although it is way out of date as far as updates go because I don't use it for anything and that may also make a difference. Hope we can get you up and running. Have always enjoyed your course designs and when you share the design philosophy behind them.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Hey Brain! Lovely to hear from you too - miss the old gang here! Yes I have Windows 10 now - does that making running PGA a non-starter?
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Think its a file issue rather than a OS compatibility error. Might be easier to buy the game again?
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Copied this from an old thread by Dave - might try this before installing. Files can be found online. Worked for me and I use Windows 10. Also resolves an issue with the course manager.

Culprit Files:
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
Xcdzip.ocx (note case changes for this file)

The files should be placed in the:
c:\windows\sysWOW64 folder (note case changes for this location)

Note: for Win8.1 I had to register all 3 files.
To register files and run them as "admin" in Win8.1 you must use the old DOS/Windows Command Processor.
To access this window:
- on the Start Menu type cmd.exe
- when the cmd.exe icon bar appears right click on it
- from the drop down menu select "run as admin"
- when asked if you want the "Windows Command Processor" to make changes, click YES
- you should now see the Command Processor window and a "C:\Windows\system32>" command prompt
- after the command prompt, type in the correct path for the first file "regsvr32 \windows\sysWOW64\MSCOMCTL"
- press Enter to register
- you should get a window stating "File Registered OK"
- repeat this sequence to register the other files
Note: if you get a "could not register file" error you probably made a typo. Make sure you have that space after "regsvr32 "
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Many thanks for taking the time here Jim. Appreciate it - and also appreciate the help Viper gave me in messages.

Good news is I've managed to get my old laptop running which means hopefully I can get back in the designer. Only problem is coming in a separate thread! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Thanks!