Northumbria Golf Club by Charlie Roberts [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Northumbria Golf Club by Charlie Roberts [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Northumbria Golf Club (25.0 MB)
Type: Fictional
Designer: Charlie Roberts
Date: 6/10/2022

Documents: Northumbria Readme
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Northumbria Golf Club by Charlie Roberts [New Course]

Post by BradTheDad »

Just played Charlie's latest course. While aesthetically it has nothing in common with Steve's Palm Harbour, there are a lot of similarities. Both courses are beautifully crafted. The backgrounds, custom objects and playing challenge are marks of skilled designers. Charlie has done a couple of highlands/links style courses now and he is getting into the same realm as Jay Johnson; and there is no higher compliment than that in relation to that kind of course.

Northumbria's primary protections are the narrowness of the driving areas and the small greens. Tough but fair, the course is complemented by a terrific background that features a majestic tor that dominates the landscape. The custom grasses are perfect for this style of course and these plantings, custom buildings and textures marry up with the horizon perfectly.

Like Palm Harbour, hit it straight and you can score well, but go astray off the tee and the numbers on your scorecard will start to soar.

This is a really good test of your golfing ability and a testament to Charlie's designing prowess.

Thanks for another beauty Charlie.

Cheers

Brad
Last edited by BradTheDad on July 17th, 2022, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Shotmaker

Post by Charlie »

Thanks, Brad, for your generous comments. I have been traveling and just returned, so I've not visited this site in a while. Good to be back.

I hope some others will try their hand at designing a course. Seeing a new course released every so often at GBD was a huge factor in creating and sustaining a lot of the enthusiasm for this great game.

You mentioned Jay Johnson; I loved his designs and always played them as soon as they were released. I studied them too. Jay was very helpful to me when I designed Valhalla 82nd PGA Championship. I was looking for visual material on Valhalla and Jay had recorded all 4 rounds of the 82nd PGA Championship held in 2000 at Valhalla and won by Tiger in a playoff with Bob May. Jay mailed me his videotapes, so I had about twenty hours of video for all the holes as set up and played in that tournament. I also had the good fortune to play Valhalla on a visit to family in Louisville in 2000 just a few months before the tournament was played.

Jay's generosity and helpfulness has been exhibited many times by other JN6 designers who have shared their talent and design experience with new designers; just another example of how this game generates not only enjoyment from playing and designing, but so much camaraderie within our community.

It may be time to twist Steve's arm and see if we can get another group design project going. :)

Charlie
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Good to see you back on deck Charlie.

I am in the process of doing another real design, Bernadus Golf, where they play the Dutch Open. Not far into the design and Robyn and I are going away in our caravan for 6 weeks in a fortnight, so don't hold your breath on the finished product.

I don't know why, but I always seem to pick courses that have millions of grass plantings.

Like you I would love to see more designers having a crack, particularly the guys (and girls) who might be new to JN6 following our move from Snuffy's Den.

Cheers

Brad
Drackkor
Weekend Duffer

Post by Drackkor »

I hope someone will design Trump International Scotland the Aberdeen course.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Charlie wrote: July 16th, 2022, 7:40 am Thanks, Brad, for your generous comments. I have been traveling and just returned, so I've not visited this site in a while. Good to be back.

I hope some others will try their hand at designing a course. Seeing a new course released every so often at GBD was a huge factor in creating and sustaining a lot of the enthusiasm for this great game.

You mentioned Jay Johnson; I loved his designs and always played them as soon as they were released. I studied them too. Jay was very helpful to me when I designed Valhalla 82nd PGA Championship. I was looking for visual material on Valhalla and Jay had recorded all 4 rounds of the 82nd PGA Championship held in 2000 at Valhalla and won by Tiger in a playoff with Bob May. Jay mailed me his videotapes, so I had about twenty hours of video for all the holes as set up and played in that tournament. I also had the good fortune to play Valhalla on a visit to family in Louisville in 2000 just a few months before the tournament was played.

Jay's generosity and helpfulness has been exhibited many times by other JN6 designers who have shared their talent and design experience with new designers; just another example of how this game generates not only enjoyment from playing and designing, but so much camaraderie within our community.

It may be time to twist Steve's arm and see if we can get another group design project going. :)

Charlie
Charlie, my arm was hurting and then I noticed this post :) I'm planning on running another Group Design at the end of summer (just too busy right now). Will make announcement soon so talk to some of the designers and let them get the word out. Hope all is well!!