Gallery Golf Club - South Course

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Gallery Golf Club - South Course

Post by mikey2020 »

Though I have never been an accomplished designer like of the greats that are now here in this forum (Steve, Galen and Charlie to name a few) I've had this course languishing on my drive for a long while before the demise of the Den.

Gallery Golf Club is a 36 hole semi-private golf community located in the central Sonoran Desert near the town of Marana, Arizona. The south course was the host venue of the 2006-2007 Match Play Championships before it was moved about files north to Dove Mountain Resort which is a 27 hole resort designed by Jack.

The South Course is designed by John Fought and while my rendition will not be 100 percent accurate, I'm trying to make it as close as possible. The opening hole is a 588yd par 5 which requires on many days 3-shots to get to this green which pitches away from you. Your main hazards here are the lone bunker on the left side from the tee and the bunker near the green should you try to go after this green in two. The desert left will have many depressions which serve as flood control that will cause problems as well
Attachments
hole01-1.jpg
(227.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole01-2.jpg
(131.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole01-3.jpg
(143.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Gallery Golf Club - South Course

Post by SteveHorn »

mikey 2020
Although I'm not a big fan of some desert course's, it looks as if what your designing is going well and will be a quality design.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Nice start Mikey!! The cacti looks real!!
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

I love the openness of the course. It gives you a true feeling of being in the desert. Coming along nicely Mikey.

Cheers

Brad
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Post by mikey2020 »

Hole #3 is the longest of the par 3's here at 223yds. How easy or how difficult this hole plays depends very much on the prevailing wind. The green here is very large with a deep bunker front right and OB close by to the left, this hole will require an accurate tee shot to get close. While birdie can be had, par will be good score here.
hole03-1.jpg
(414.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole03-2.jpg
(304.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole03-3.jpg
(377.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hope to have images for hole #2 soon as I have to redo due to a bad pcx file that I somehow incorporated.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

The visual is very pleasing! So nice to see your work! Its really Hard i would imagine to make desert and British links courses and still make them challenging!
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Post by mikey2020 »

Hi Everyone,

Been away for a while battling health issues both mental and physical and in the process was working on my other hobby which is transferring records & tape to digital which of course took my mind away from the designer.

Anyway, an update on this course. The custom objects that I was using for this course got corrupt and while I had a basic layout of the course on backup I still have to go back and re-do many aspects of the course which included the custom objects portion (which has been fixed). As of now I have restarted the planting and fine tuning of the course and will hope to post updates soon as I've been wanting to get this and the companion North Course out for some time now.

I hope to complete this course before the end of the year and if ti's worthy enough be included in part of our tournament schedule (Match Play??) as this was the site of the 2006-2008 Match Play events.

Peace & Joy
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Mikey,

sorry to hear that you haven't been 100% lately. Hope your health issues continue to improve. I'm loving the look of this course and can appreciate your frustration with your custom object setback. Keep at it, as I think you are creating a very special course.

Cheers

Brad