Old Timers Competition 2024

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Re: Old Timers Competition 2024

Post by RandyG »

Thanks Brad,

I remember back to the good 'ole days with the GBO, The World Swing and the PGA Tour including the European Tour.
Those were good times playing out of Gamespy.

GBO Dave is still playing over at PGLS (Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf)
They have several tours over there. A good game but unfinished!

Here's to the good 'ole days :bow: :golf: :cheers:
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Yeah, they were good days, Randy. You and I had some great results in the teams competitions. :bg:

I wish we had more players on the Old Timers Tour, I would start doing some Matchplay tournaments.

Terribly sad how many good friends we have lost, either permanently or just to other games.0:) :(

Cheers

Brad
Last edited by BradTheDad on April 18th, 2024, 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Howdy! Sleeping Bear is really difficult. You cannot go into your round without knowing this in advance and embracing it. The wind is really scaring me next round...

Sleeping Bear Downs - Tarheel - round 1.round
(25.77 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Glad you guys are enjoying Sleeping Bear Downs. I really appreciate reading the comments and feedback on the course!
Last edited by JReel on April 17th, 2024, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Hello Fellas,

One reason for the round 1 mild conditions were for you to get familiar with the course before the winds pickup.

Jeff has done a great job making this a thinking man's course. Everything from the tee to green has to be thought out.
It's a must to get close to the hole as possible so your setup from the fairway has to be spot on.

Good luck in round 2!

randy
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

here's my second round at Sleeping Bear Downs. Started off well with a couple of birdies and then the course fought back. Thankfully, my putter and Lady Luck smiled on me and I managed to get home with a score that I was very happy with.

This course never ceases to amaze! You hit what you think is a poor approach (as I did on 18), and then the green kicks it 45 degrees to the right and you are left with a short putt, albeit never flat! Gotta love that. :up:

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Sleeping Bear Downs - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 2.round
(24.63 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

My first round... I´m in love with this course... the finals holes 16-17-18th, are simple, a beauty. What an art work, Jeff! i would like to see the scores with strong winds and hard greens... like this course should play in real conditions... Anyway, congratulations, Jeff, you´re an outstanding designer... i would like to see you working at Pacific Dunes, a course that need a great designer as well.

Juan
Attachments
Sleeping Bear Downs - Juan Menestrina2024_1stRound.round
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Round 2. I'll have to apologize to the greenskeeper for chipping on the green several times when faced with quite the awkward uphill or extreme slope. I know in the past some purists frowned upon it. It really didn't help me anyway though, and I might have been better off just putting.
Attachments
Sleeping Bear Downs - Tarheel - round 2.round
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Just watched Juan's first round and I think it is fair to say that he struggled to keep it out of the sand, and this course is hard enough from the green stuff. His back nine was quite good, but the damage had been done, so a good score was always going to be hard to get.

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Tarheel's second round against my own and there was nothing in it for the first nine holes.

After being successful chipping in from off and on the green, he chose to continue chipping on the green on the back nine. I putted, and that proved to be the difference in the end, as he was unsuccessful in all of his attempts to chip in on the back nine. As he indicated, perhaps he needed to rethink this approach.

Personally, when I see greens like this, I just love the challenge of putting on them (as I do in real golf).

Cheers

Brad