Old Timers Competition 2024

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Galen_Golf4676
Scratch Golfer

Re: Old Timers Competition 2024

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Sleeping Bear round 2. Great course which calls for focus, planning and then good shot execution, none of which I possess. I play very fast and that can often be a detriment.
Attachments
Sleeping Bear Downs - Galen_Rnd2.round
(26.32 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Galen's Rd 2 and what a solid round it was. With a smidgen of luck on the greens it could easily have been three or four shots better, but certainly a vast improvement on what happened to him on the greens in Rd 1. :up:

Cheers

Brad
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Rd 3
Angel River

Nice looking course, not to difficult. We'll see if the course grows any teeth with the forecast of medium winds coming up.
Attachments
Angel River Golf Club - Randy Rd3.round
(24.24 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Galen_Golf4676
Scratch Golfer

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Angel River round 3. A lip-out on a short putt (my bane) and goofed shot making on a par five could have added a couple more strokes under par.
Attachments
Angel River Golf Club - Galen_Rnd3.round
(25.69 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

it's always a good contest between Galen and Randy and in Rd 3, from tee to green, it was again! But that's where it ended. This became a game of Randy's lip-ins versus Galen's lip-outs and you don't have to be a genius to figure out how that ends. Randy's continued good form has, however, started to catch up to him, as he lost a shot on his handicap in this round.

It's my turn to select courses and conditions and as we are moving through this tournament pretty quickly, I thought I'd post them now.

This is going to be a tribute round.

On 4 October last year, we lost one of our great designers, Philip Gustin. In conjunction with our good mate Chad "Fish" Derouin, Philip created some wonderful courses and in this tournament we are going to celebrate a couple of his and Fish's finest.

In our first two rounds we visit Pine Needles and then we follow that with a visit to what is considered the best golf course in the world, Pine Valley.

Pine Needles was play-tested for Philip by our own Randy Grant, along with Dave "Snuffy" Smith, and a couple of other wonderful designers in Roy Barley and Charlie Roberts, so you know it's going to be good.

https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... eedles.zip

Rd 1: Medium/Normal/Pin 4/Black Tee

Rd 2: Medium/Soft/Pin 4/Blue Tee

https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... erouin.zip

Rd 3: Medium/Normal/Pin 3/Black Tee

Rd 4: Medium/Hard/Pin 2/Blue Tee

Enjoy your rounds and, while you're playing, spare a thought for Philip and all the other good mates we have lost from this great game.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Pine Needles.jpg
(13.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pine Valley.jpg
(20.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

RandyG wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:00 am :laugh:

Sleeping Bear Downs is a tough course indeed!
I had fun trying to figure out where to hit the shots but with my inconsistency with seeing my meter did make it interesting :bg:

Big thumbs up Jeff! :up:
Thanks Randy! Glad y'all enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to watching your rounds.
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

My second round at Sleeping Bear. This is a message for Jeff: you are an outstanding architect... i enjoyed every single shot... The finals holes are a beauty... i enjoyed long putts, that are not usual on this game. Love it everyway. i hope you could make another jewell for us. Thanks for your work.
Juan
Attachments
Sleeping Bear Downs - Juan Menestrina2024_2ndRound.round
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Juan's second round at Sleeping Bear Downs. A solid round, with only one bogey, on a course that, I think we will all agree, is up there with the best that has ever been produced for our pleasure/pain.

The true beauty of this course is options. You have options off the tee to different fairways. You have options on how to play your approaches, and as Tarheel has shown, you even have options on the green as to whether you putt or chip.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching which options you have taken and despite which one it was, the results still came out incredibly close.

Here are the results for Rnd 2:

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Rd 2 Scores and Results.jpg
(18.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

here's my Rd 4 at Angel River. This course does have some teeth in this wind, particularly on the back nine. This protection is enhanced by some pretty tough pin placements. Even my trusty old putter let me down a few times, but only just.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Angel River - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 4.round
(24.63 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

BradTheDad wrote: April 24th, 2024, 4:58 am
The true beauty of this course is options. You have options off the tee to different fairways. You have options on how to play your approaches, and as Tarheel has shown, you even have options on the green as to whether you putt or chip.
...and as Tarheel displayed as seen on the leaderboard here, a singularly bad choice...