Game not launching correctly

Help with questions or problems.
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Game not launching correctly

Post by rsugarman »

I have been working on a couple of courses (with hope to release them!) and tried to launch the game, but it won't launch properly. When I started the game (vs the designer), it looked like it was going to start but then the app minimized. I clicked on the JN6 app icon, but the game would not come up. I was able to get to the start screen by right-clicking on the icon and selecting it that way. But then when I tried to play a round, it came up very weird -- see attached screen capture. I uninstalled the game, reinstalled the whole thing (including the Win 10 and wide screen patches; BTW, I am running Windows 11), but it still gave me the same problem. I tried replacing the .exe and Home.sts files, as those have fixed some other issues in the past. Still no luck. I haven't changed any device settings; my two teenagers might have, but unlikely. I've never seen this before, so not sure what to do. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Attachments
20240524_175255.jpg
(925.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Re: Game not launching correctly

Post by RandyG »

Hi Rick,

It's been so long I've forgotten most of the fixes for problems that come up.
One thing I remember is when you uninstall the game and re-install it, some of the files don't get overwritten on the new install. Some files stay in the registry.

The fix to get a clean install involves uninstalling the game and then cleaning out your registry of all Jack Nicklaus files. That will give you a clean install.

If you're comfortable cleaning your registry look for any mention of "Jack Nicklaus", "GBC". For a thorough clean add "Activision" to your registry cleaning.

You will need to copy your courses, players, and model files to your desktop to replace them after you clean install. This will save your files as
it was before.

I wrote a detailed document on the procedure but I'll have to see if I can find it.
It might seem spooky to enter the registry but it isn't and you are assured of clean files and install.

After a clean install and your problem still exists then it's a hardware problem.

After I get home from work I'll look and see if I can find the registry document.

randy
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

Randy, appreciate the advice! I'm not scared of playing in the registry, so will give that a shot and let you know if that fixes the problem. I suspected it might be lingering files or registry entries that could be causing this but didn't want to try anything until I consulted with you, the JN Community, first. :-)
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Found it!

Good Luck!
Attachments
Cleaning Your Registry.docx
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

Grrrr.... I cleaned the registry and did a new install. Everything seemed to be going fine until I tried to start the game the first time and got the message "No valid combination of display settings could be found to run GBC. Please check the system requirements in your product documentation."

I double-checked my display settings and they appeared to be the same as when I was able to run it. I got a new laptop last year, but I was able to install GBC and get it to run. I'm not sure what happened in the last week since I last played to work on my course. I'll keep playing with settings and see if I can get the right combination.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-26 173207.png
(13.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Hi Rick,

I googled this "no valid combination of display settings could be found to run a game"

Good Luck!

I do remember when that HD patch came out and I think I had the same issue, it's been too long for me to remember lol
Try removing the HD patch and see if that fixes the issue.
No idea why it worked before and not now.
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

Digging into the graphics settings, I came across this interesting entry in my properties, three "Events" from May 8th about my Iris Xe Graphics device. I thought I had played GBC since the 8th, but maybe not...my work and home schedules have been really busy, in a good way. :D I suppose this may have somehow configured my graphics settings, although it doesn't look like it updated the driver and I can't find what this actually did. I'm pretty tech and computer savvy, but not enough to understand this. Next step, pull out my old laptop and try it there. I'll get these courses done and released somehow, some way!! :bg:
Screenshot 2024-05-27 132804.jpg
(38.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

As before, the problems we encounter with JN6 are mostly (Search and Find) missions. Eventually, someone finds the cure.

Are you using Nvidia or AMD ?

The inf files are installation files.
The device not started (igfxn) is..

What does device not started mean?
It's generated when Device Manager can't start the hardware device, a situation usually caused by outdated or corrupted drivers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... phics.html

Looks like your intel update on the 8th went south :)
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

Good news! In the Optional Windows Updates menu, I found an update to the device settings driver for the Intel Iris Xe graphics device and that appeared to fix whatever the problem was. Like you said, "Search and Find!" :-)
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Great News!