Thank You ! and A Question

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
HavyHavy
Range Rookie

Thank You ! and A Question

Post by HavyHavy »

I just found this site this last weekend. I've been playing PGACG 2K for many years now, but I've have limited to just the courses that came with the basic game and the Collectors' Edition. I had no idea that so many of you had taken the time and effort to build such wonderful courses. I have downloaded a few of the Real Courses and have already played them several times. This is great! I "played" Augusta National while watching the Masters on TV. Being from Ohio, I was also anxious to play Murfield Village, which I did. I want to give a special thanks to Somerfelt, Hannah, and Polslad for their layouts that I downloaded.

One Question - I saw in the Utilities section of this website that we can download "Pro Players". I did so and copied the folders into my "Players" folder on my C: drive, but for some reason these new Pro Player folders do not show up on my "Available List" when I'm selecting who will participate in a round. So I'm still stuck playing against "Vance Cook," "Steve Guest," and the rest of the players that come with the basic game. Can any of you tell me what to do so I can start playing the "real" pros?

Thanks Again,

-HavyHavy (Dayton, Ohio)
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Thank You ! and A Question

Post by SteveHorn »

HavyHavy ! Welcome you will find that there's over 1600 courses avalible for download. I see you said you downloaded some real courses but belive me there's many (fantasy) bad choice of words that are every bit as good if not better then the real thing. Tin Cup (Dar) has a list of some of the better courses listed in the utilites section. Also I'm nearing completion of an updated Muirfield Village which has the new version of #16 and the new tee area on #15. Also it is less wooded now then the release I did a few years ago.
I've had problems with the players file being reconized before myself. Go into your Sierra file under players and make sure the properties are the same as the other files. Make sure the players accually got copied into the folder. Sometimes changing the name of the file can help. Just keep opening up the game in local or season mode not practice to see if the file has suddenly appeared.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

HavyHavy wrote:
One Question - I saw in the Utilities section of this website that we can download "Pro Players". I did so and copied the folders into my "Players" folder on my C: drive, but for some reason these new Pro Player folders do not show up on my "Available List" when I'm selecting who will participate in a round. So I'm still stuck playing against "Vance Cook," "Steve Guest," and the rest of the players that come with the basic game. Can any of you tell me what to do so I can start playing the "real" pros?

Thanks Again,

-HavyHavy (Dayton, Ohio)
HavyHavy,
First of all, welcome to the site and welcome back to PGA2000. :wavey:

Regarding your question above... I think it is a matter of what you put in your Players folder. The way you are doing it, all you will see on your available list is the folder level. Here is what you can do:

-download a pro player folder to say your desktop
-unzip and open the folder
-move pro players of choice into your Players folder in Sierra

You should now see individual pro players on your available list when setting up a game.

Again, welcome. If you need any help, just ask. There are lots of fine folks around who are more than willing to help.
Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Havy havy a hearty welcome to the clubhouse!
Havy, when you open your game and go to your available players are you seeing a folder that says "2011 Players"? (Make sure that you've unzipped it before putting it in the Players folder.) If not try dl'ing it again, unzipping then DRAG + DROPPING the file in the players folder.

On your available list you should see "2011 Players" with a lower-case "L" behind it. When you see it click on it then at lower left click on "edit list." This will open that list for you, after which you just double-click on the golfers you want to play against (or for you... you can also use AI players for scrambles/4 ball play, but you probably already know that.) Or if you want to play a tournament, just double click on the list and all the players will appear in your game without the bother of selecting each player individually. Or use Dar's method, your choice.

Good luck, I hope you get it working. If not come back and let us know and we'll do all we can to get you going. Man, in some ways I envy you the joy of stumbling into this gold mine. After 10 years of playing 2K, it's still a real joy when someone releases a new course that's really good or stumbling across a jewel you've had for years and thinking "man, how did I miss this?"

Just one more question. How did you happen to stumble across this site? It'd be nice to know how you found it so maybe we can find a way to make it easier for others like you to find us.
HavyHavy
Range Rookie

Post by HavyHavy »

Steve, Indy, and TinCup -- Thanks so much for welcoming me to this site and taking the time to answer my question. I tried just changing the name of the folders...and it worked! Thanks. Now I can play against the likes of Tiger Woods or Sam Snead (I downloaded the 50s and 60s guys as well).
Indy, I stumbled into this site when I Googled "PGA Championship PC game" and saw a Wikipedia entry on the game. When I went into the Wikipedia reference, it said that over 1,600 courses had been developed for the game, and it had a link to your website! Thanks to whoever put it there.
Also, thanks for referring me to TinCup's A-List of courses in the Utilities section. I'm sure I'll be downloading some of them in the near future.
My only disappointment is that it looks like I will not be able to play the game with any of you online, because I have a Windows Vista system. If there is any way that I could, I would. Please let me know if the situation ever changes.
I'm set for now thanks to the three of you and the other nice folks who keep this site running. May your rounds be filled with birdies and eagles.
Sincerely,
Tom Haviland (HavyHavy)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Welcome! I just added that to Wikipedia about a week ago. Nice to see it's already paying off. :bg: If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

OMG Tom, you're out of prison and so soon. I figured you'd get at least 20 years for killing those two "girls."

Lol... don't think I'm crazy! (Well I am but...)

When I read your name it rang a bell, and yes... Tom Haviland was a character in CSI (S3-2) who... well if anybody's interested here's the link to IMDb that will explain it. Chad Michael Murray played the part and he was pretty darn good. By coincidence the episode is airing on SPIKE tomorrow at 2pm EDT.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0534748/

Anyway, I'm glad Bryan posted the link. Wow Bryan, caught a fish already... good work. Tom if you're interested in playing a full season with your players and new courses, you might want to download the 2011 Season file. If you are, let us know and we'll explain how to edit your dates, courses, etc. to fit the courses you've installed and might want to use.