What was the first course you ever downloaded?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: What was the first course you ever downloaded?

Post by sandwedge »

4 real and 3 fantasy

Brian - The thing I remember about Arrowhead was the way the pano was worked into the design. Ever try using that pano in a design of your own? Shows the skill that Mr. McHale had back in the day.

Doron - Yeah Aaron definitely had some mad skills with the architect. These guys paved the way for the genius that has followed. I still cannot believe just how close they got their designs to the layouts without some extra help. Lot of research and digging up photographs and just going on feel. Glad to hear you guys giving them some recognition - makes an oldtimer like me feel I'm still in the right place :laugh: Robert Wagers is another guy that got out there and made it real. The quantity of his designs is low but the quality is in each and every one - attention to detail that raised the bar.
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

IIRC, found the dl site early 2000's, bought the original edition around the time the Titanium Edition was released. I dl'd, a few courses the day I found the site: Augusta 2001, Sawgrass, Pebble Beach and Glen Abbey.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

5 real and 3 fantasy

Pebble Beach still holds up as a great design IMO and it was finished in 2001 - amazing!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Deer Hollow, on April 11, 2001. I played it on 99 with ty blue, pepperjack, No Aces and jps1. It took about 3 hrs to dl and another couple of hours to install (I was so stupid!!!) I lost to all of them, btw. Lol, don't ask me why but I still have all my sheets from Cases Ladder. Those were the days!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I bought the original edition in early 2001 and about 6 months later found the titanium edition in the bargain bin at Best Buy for $10. I bought it for the fact that you could download over 250 courses for free online. I believe the first course I ever downloaded was Augusta and then Pebble Beach. I'll throw out a few more designers: Dano Bunch, Jorgen Ekroth, David Lurty (Ancient 46), Jim Fabita. The wealth of information these guys had was amazing. I still have all the tutorials printed on paper and still refer back to them when designing today. Dano wrote the book on greensites. I know there are a lot of designers I'm forgetting but these came to mind. I was on the Perfect Parallel forum about 2 months ago and saw Dano there.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

So the sax man with sheep is still around? :laugh: Yeah Dano had a lot of great ideas for how a hole sets up! I remember Deer Hollow - I believe it was a Dammpa course. If I remember correctly it had some neat rock formations in it and some nasty rough.