Looking for direction

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
jamiepcurran
Range Rookie

Looking for direction

Post by jamiepcurran »

The quest for the perfect relaxation tool led me to PGA Championship Golf (Collector's Edition) back in 2001 at my local Navy Exchange. Over time I've gone anywhere from putting it aside for months/years at a time to times where I downloaded every course I could find. The dilemma I have now is I'm starting from scratch from the basic program I purchased so many years ago, without any additional courses. As many have, I've gone through a number of computers since 2001 and my teens ended up corrupting the main one I had several years ago which had my additional courses.

Where do I go from here? Is there a central place where I can download many courses at a time without sitting in front of the computer for days/weeks/months to do it? As a stress reliever, this game has had no equal for me. I'm not interested in competing on-line or designing my own courses. Simply put, I would just rather enjoy the game as I do in real life, but need the variety of both real and created courses.

I don't believe this forum was set up when I originally was setting up files. I'm hoping now I can gain some knowledge (and additional courses) before the knowledge base is gone.

Thanks for your time!

jpc
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Looking for direction

Post by SteveHorn »

jpc! WELCOME. Check in here for more advice and anything else that may cross your mind. It does'nt always have to pertain to golf. Just try to find the right catagory for whatever you want to discuss. Check Dars (AKA tincup) A list and B list courses avalible for download in the PGA 2000 utility section near the top portion of this page for the best avalible courses. There's over 1600 avalible total and his list will cut it down to about 800. THATS ALOT OF QUALITY COURSES TO PLAY. There's many top designers here but you can"t go wrong with most recent releases or designs by the late Robert Wagner ( rest in peace) or the over 60 designs by Robert@. If you want to check out real renditions they are also marked in Dars list. Hope this helps. Go to the "courses" near the top for download in the PGA2000 section.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

jpc:
I'm not a web wizard but I think the ability to only download 1 file at a time is a standard browser restriction. The good news with the way PGA2000 handles course designs is the libraries are course transferable so as you build up an installed course base you will get to a stage where you rarely need to download any library files. Now, after about 120 course downloads I only occasionally come across a new library file requirement. Yesterday I downloaded 5 course files in about 7 minutes and did not encounter even one "library not found ... continue installation?" message
Welcome, and cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
jamiepcurran
Range Rookie

Post by jamiepcurran »

Thanks to you both! I'm really looking forward to building up my catalog again after so long. I just reloaded the Collector's Edition yesterday on my newish computer, set up the compatibilities, and played a few holes just to warm up. I visited the Courses tab yesterday, but haven't downloaded anything new yet. I also went to the Utilities tab, which leads me to a new question:

As I mentioned, I just installed the Collector's Edition on my PC and I'm running Windows 7. Space and memory aren't issues since I no longer do a lot of graphics work and other things I used to. What are some key downloads under the Utilities tab that I should be concerned about? Would you recommend downloading any Utilities before starting to download courses?

Ultimately I want all the bells and whistles, including any special announcers, graphics, and such. For right now, however, I just want to start off at a very, very good spot.

Thanks!

~ jpc
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Did you remember to install the 3.3.4.5 patch and the one for the collector's edition? You will find both of them under the utilities tab.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

jpc! Most key downloads in the utility section have to do with the course architect. Under sounds you may want to download those for gameplay. When playing the game on your keyboard all the numbers give you different views. 1 and 2 are ball in flight or no ball in flight from behind view, 4 is a overhead view to help see better and 0 is like from blimp view. Most any course from 2010 on is good or excellent. Experament and have fun