Making 3D objects

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Making 3D objects

Post by BrianZ111 »

I could ask Dean from Red Chain but I doubt it. I'm not an expert in modeling but it sounds like from what Chet says, you can model in whatever you want and then load the models in a trial version of 3ds Max 7 to do the conversion. An extra step but at least it wouldn't cost anything.
steggs11
Weekend Duffer

Post by steggs11 »

I have been looking around on the internet to see if I can find a copy of 3DS Max 7, with no real luck. The only possible lead is to buy a book about 3DS Max published around the time and hope that it still has the CD with it. I have done this and it should arrive in about 4-7 days.

Being impatient, however, does anyone have a lead on where to download the trial version of 3DS Max 7 (or 8)?
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Post by Chet Bzdak »

I couldn't really remember where I found it - just that some modding community had archived it. I found it again at modacity.net which is a halo site. I checked the time/date stamp and it agrees with what I have. Good luck.

http://files.modacity.net/software/3dsmax/
steggs11
Weekend Duffer

Post by steggs11 »

Thanks Chet
The link works fine, and with 3D Max 7 I got the plugin working by copying the .dle file to the plugins folder at the install location.

The only problem I have is that when I import a .3ds object and then export it to .CO2, all of the colour seems to be lost - it renders in black in the WGC2011 game. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. If anyone has ideas, please let me know! In the meantime I am going to see if I can find any hints in the 3dMax 7 Bible that arrived today ... without the disc!
bigwill29
Weekend Duffer

Post by bigwill29 »

steggs11 wrote:Thanks Chet
The link works fine, and with 3D Max 7 I got the plugin working by copying the .dle file to the plugins folder at the install location.

The only problem I have is that when I import a .3ds object and then export it to .CO2, all of the colour seems to be lost - it renders in black in the WGC2011 game. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. If anyone has ideas, please let me know! In the meantime I am going to see if I can find any hints in the 3dMax 7 Bible that arrived today ... without the disc!

You could create a fun "noir" themed course ha. :laugh:
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Post by Chet Bzdak »

Did you add both the co2 and image into their appropriate folders in the game? If so then you probably need to map a material to the object in max. That is something you can research in your bible. Also you might check the publishers site to see if the disk is available as a download.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

The .co2 file can go anywhere within the Resources folder. The associated image file must go in the under ../Resources/Textures/

You can create any folder structure you want within those folders to keep things organized.
steggs11
Weekend Duffer

Post by steggs11 »

Thanks guys.
Right now I am not sure what you mean by the 'image' file (I only had a CO2 file), but I am sure I will work it out.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

You have to map a texture (aka material) to the model in your 3D modeling program. This is in some image format like JPG, PNG, TGA, etc. Otherwise the model will just be a solid color.