Corrupt golfer graphics and flag

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

Re: Corrupt golfer graphics and flag

Post by Viper »

BischoffKY wrote:Same problem here. Anybody find a fix?
I'll be looking at it over the Christmas holiday period. Just don't have time now. Hopefully someone can find a fix before then and save me some time.
I think it will be a hard or impossible fix but I'll still give it a try. Be a real shame to lose PGA 2000 on Win 10.
Win 10 sux.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Since making the above post, couldn't help myself and had a quick play. I have got the game working fine for a few shots but then it breaks and locks up.
I'll keep at it but I honestly don't expect to find a way for a permanent fix. There are similar instances of what is happening with PGA 2000 occurring with other games and they remain very broken.
Hopefully someone proves me totally wrong and posts a fix.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Finally, if anyone wants to try, a VM may very well work with PGA 2000 running Win XP or Win 7.
I'll try this over Christmas as well but it would obviously be best to find a fix without having to jump hoops and run the game via a VM.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes, it'll run in a VM. Some people used to (still do?) run it in VirtualBox with XP so they could play online over the IPX protocol.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:Yes, it'll run in a VM. Some people used to (still do?) run it in VirtualBox with XP so they could play online over the IPX protocol.
Great! It will allow the game to live on for an indefinite period using modern hardware and Win 10. I haven't installed a VM on my new Win 10 system yet but will do. I'll just run PGA 2000 through the VM as I think this may very well be the only way to run it. Thanks for the info.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I fired up the game on my Windows 7 computer today and the golfer had no textures on him and the flags and holes didn't show up at all. My first thought was there was a similar update to Windows 7 in the last few months before updates stopped that must have caused it even though it wasn't exactly the same as the issue with Windows 10. That wasn't it though, it turned out it was the screen resolution. I got a 4k monitor in December and this was my first time loading the game up since then. Running Windows in anything below a horizontal resolution of 2048 resolved the issue. I don't think this is the same as the Windows 10 issue but if anyone was running at 4k it might be worth a shot to change to a lower resolution and try it.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:I fired up the game on my Windows 7 computer today and the golfer had no textures on him and the flags and holes didn't show up at all. My first thought was there was a similar update to Windows 7 in the last few months before updates stopped that must have caused it even though it wasn't exactly the same as the issue with Windows 10. That wasn't it though, it turned out it was the screen resolution. I got a 4k monitor in December and this was my first time loading the game up since then. Running Windows in anything below a horizontal resolution of 2048 resolved the issue. I don't think this is the same as the Windows 10 issue but if anyone was running at 4k it might be worth a shot to change to a lower resolution and try it.
It appears you found the game's resolution limit. :up:

I'm certain the Win 10 issue is not the same. Having played around with it on Win 10, I think it very much looks like a DirectX issue.

I did try a few quick workarounds for DirectX and they all failed. It was possible to get animations back to normal but then you get the issue of the game locking up.
I've tried to run enough old games now on Win 10 I kinda can see the ones that have potential of working with enough effort and those that likely just ain't gonna work. There is still hope for PGA 2000 but it looks like it would take some serious work.

I've given up spending masses of time on problem games. I decided with Win 10, you are just way better off running Win 10 with a second Win XP system if you play old games. This is what I'm doing. Components for these old PC's will be around for a heck of a long time yet if anything breaks on your Win XP system and needs replacing. You would have to be quite young (20's maybe) to have to worry about component availability in the future.

Using a second XP machine is just a far easier, trouble free resolution to running old games than persisting with Win 10. It also works out not very costly at all to do. Even many games that you end up getting to work on Win 10, they may run but often are still left with other problems or quirks. Running a Win XP system you avoid all of this.

In my PC cave I now have Win 10 and Win XP systems set up. The biggest issue I have is I stole my daughter's old desk for the XP PC. It is pink so I need to find a workaround. :laugh:
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:might be worth a shot to change to a lower resolution and try it.
Brian,
On my thread travels through the forum I found someone who did try exactly this. Only a few threads down from this one:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1125

Glad I went through the forum. Found my architect was crashing. Then shortly after found it is normal if many libraries are installed. Phew! I kinda went through a "what the?" moment. :laugh:
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah that's why the cloaking tool was created (see utilities page for download). Allows you to hide libraries from appearing to be installed. Just make sure you uncloak before you want to play again, otherwise you end up with the placeholder library issues and have to reinstall some libraries.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Ok, thanks Brian.