The PGA 2000 diary

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Viper
Tour Contender

Re: The PGA 2000 diary

Post by Viper »

I am adding diary entries to this thread slowly and likely won't add anything at a rapid rate for 2 reasons:

1. Time. I can work long hours so free time goes to many things besides PGA 2000. 2 days ago for example I did a 14 and a half hour day OMFG!
2. I don't want to post anything until I am certain I have tried it out well enough and spent enough time with it.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

I have found there is some bug in the season play.

In one tournament a while ago a final round was showing as completed that I never even started.
I just went to play a new tournament of 4 rounds that I set up the other day and found when going to play it, it said my season was finished. This latest tournament I added showed that it was played and completed.
I checked the AI stats and they all had stats/results for this tournament that I never started. If I check the course stats the tournament was supposed to be played at, the course stats are empty.

If anyone knows what is going on or how this can be prevented from happening again please post.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper!
This is usually caused by a mistake in the date entered (or not entered) for a tournament. I have had this happen to me and that I believe was the problem. Make sure your day and month and year are all correct and in sequence as to next tournament to be played. Don't assume that the AI will fill in anything correct year is the biggest problem.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Viper!
This is usually caused by a mistake in the date entered (or not entered) for a tournament. I have had this happen to me and that I believe was the problem. Make sure your day and month and year are all correct and in sequence as to next tournament to be played. Don't assume that the AI will fill in anything correct year is the biggest problem.
Ah, I thought about the date but didn't actually check the year. I just made sure month and day were after the previous tournament. Thanks!
I'll check my tournaments to make certain everything is correct.

I stand by my diary #2 post, the season feature in PGA 2000 is the best there is. Having a ball with it!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

My state announced we are going into full shutdown next 48 hours except for essential services. Think I'm about to do my last day of work for a while.
I'll be able to play plenty PGA 2000 and do some diary entries if I can afford to pay the electricity bill to keep the PC running! lol
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Viper wrote:My state announced we are going into full shutdown next 48 hours except for essential services. Think I'm about to do my last day of work for a while.
I'll be able to play plenty PGA 2000 and do some diary entries if I can afford to pay the electricity bill to keep the PC running! lol
OMG our government! lol
Nope, I was wrong on the above. Our state borders will remain open and I will be working as I fall under an "exemption."
Schools still going, no one here paying any attention to social distancing. A summary in pictures:
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Diary Entry #3

One of the 3 PGA 2000 features I intended to add here was Trueswing. This has changed.

After 11 tournaments and likely somewhere around 3,000 shots in practice, I just can't find enough consistency with Trueswing to make the game enjoyable.
I found it is possible for some consistency on the practice range. In order to find this consistency, I had to hit ball after ball, make small changes to rhythm and arm/mouse position to hit shots with consistency.
During a round, you just don't sit there hitting shot after shot giving you an opportunity to find and maintain the ideal set up, positioning and rhythm. My tournament rounds could never compete with the consistency I found during practice.

As discussed elsewhere, the type of mouse you use may play a major part with Trueswing. Maybe back in the day of ball mice Trueswing worked really well but after much effort, I simply have not been able to come to grips with it using an optical mouse.

I have abandoned my Trueswing season. For a mouse swing, I think Tiger Woods feels much more refined and usable with modern mice. For virtual golf using a mouse swing, Tiger Woods is what it will be for me. My experiences with it in the past have been excellent and it is really fun to use.

Where does this leave PGA 2000? I have also played quite a bit with the click swing method and it is totally enjoyable and solid. PGA 2000 for me will now be click.
The additional benefit of click? It increases longevity of the game as click can be used on a Win 10 system via a virtual machine. As I do have a Win XP machine, I will however continue to use PGA 2000 on there in the future.

While it would've been nice to use Trueswing with PGA 2000, it's not a deal breaker. The game has so many other positives and the click method appears to be a very solid swing method.

Time to put together a new season!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Isn't that the beauty of the game, both virtual and real?
Pro's don't just turn up on tour with perfect game, it takes thousands of practice balls.
Same here.
Although I do admit I haven't played for quite a while, I loved being a 'virtual tour pro'!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:Isn't that the beauty of the game, both virtual and real?
Although I do admit I haven't played for quite a while, I loved being a 'virtual tour pro'!
It's great fun and something you can play forever. :up:
PGA 2000 has the best season mode there is.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper!
Part of the difficulty of PGA 2000 is not only the wind factor and speed of greens factor but each course has its own specs of fairway texture and rough. Unless you play on just 1 texture you need to adjust to the ball distance hit tendency for each texture from course to course. Some can be frustrating but some are pretty close to each other. Of course it takes time to learn the different textures. Many rounds of golf. I always played on different conditions selected by a drawing cards method.