Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Help with questions or problems.
GregK
Novice

Re: Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Post by GregK »

I was inspired to pull out my PGA Championship Golf Collectors Edition discs after finding this thread. I did the basic install. Windows 10 defaulted to XP for compatibility mode. I tried that & windows 8. I double click the exe from the cd, and get the box with he logo etc. Click play and the blue circle spins for a bit then quits. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong. This was such a fun golf game. I would love to play it again. Thanks.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Uninstall and do a full installation. Once complete either launch from the created shortcut or launch directly by clicking the game's executable. The Collectors version likely has the same .exe name as the standard version so it will be PGAGolf.exe located in the PGA 2000 Bin folder.

Don't use any compatibility mode to start. The game should launch. After that you can try what mode works best for you. So far for me it's been Win 8.

If this does not work and PGA does not launch or the installer to install the game does not work and you just get a spinning circle again in either circumstance post back and I'll give you another option to try.
GregK
Novice

Post by GregK »

HI,

Thank you so much for helping. I uninstalled, & reinstalled the full game without running as admin & No compatibility mode. Looking at the compatibility mode window, it is currently set to Windows XP SP2. I double clicked the pgagoolf.exe & the blue circle spun for a longer period of time, but the game did not launch. The course manager comes up & appears to work. The course architect does not work. Any thoughts?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Have you tried without running Win XP compatibility mode?
You need to make sure it is not checked when you right click PGAGolf.exe, select properties and look under the compatibility tab. The checkbox should be unchecked. From what you said appears you have only launched the game with Win XP compatibility on.

For the course architect, try right clicking it's exe, again go to properties and compatibility tab and check run as admin to see if it makes any difference?

I need to be clear on the above first to have any idea what may be happening.
GregK
Novice

Post by GregK »

I reinstalled the game and when I opened the properties of the exe, the enclosed screen shot is what I see. Looks like windows 10 defaulted it to xp sp2. For the course architect, I clicked it's exe, went into properties and compatibility tab and checked run as admin. made no difference, blue circle spun for a bit & nothing happened.
pga new install.JPG
(44.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Ok, in the screenshot while it's showing Win XP it's not actually running any compatibility mode. You can see the Win XP is grayed out.
In order for a compatibility mode to be applied, the checkbox next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" needs to be checked.
Only then is a compatibility mode active.
You can try checking the checkbox, running different compatibility options and also checking and unchecking the checkbox further down on this tab for "Run this program as an administrator"
You may find a setting that will make the game launch.

You can do what I suggested above as it's easy to do without much fuss. I'm not however confident it will fix anything.
Windows 10 has issues with old exe files. I've seen it a million times and it certainly appears it can be the case with PGA 2000. There is your report here, someone else who has the Titanium version has issues, there was another user I remember somewhere else who's issues all pointed to this same exe related problem.

If playing with compatibilities doesn't work, I would suggest trying the new install package Brian has put up in the utilities section. This is the standard game with 13 original courses. It does work with Win 10.

This installation package should enable users to avoid any problems that may relate to the special Collectors or Titanium editions of PGA 2000. The package should also help users get around any of the issues Win 10 has with old exe's. Anyone who has the special editions of PGA 2000 can pull those extra courses from their own CD's or download them from the course library here. All the Titanium and Collectors courses are available here so you don't lose anything.

Any issues with the installation package post in this forum.
GregK
Novice

Post by GregK »

I downloaded the pga2000 off the site. Perfect instructions (Thanks to whoever put that together). Added the patch & windows 10 fix with no drama. Same outcome. Blue circle spins, program does not launch. Now this has become a quest.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

GregK wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:50 pm I downloaded the pga2000 off the site. Perfect instructions (Thanks to whoever put that together). Added the patch & windows 10 fix with no drama. Same outcome. Blue circle spins, program does not launch. Now this has become a quest.
This is very much a Win 10 thing with old exe files and it's quite random when and to what systems it occurs on. Some systems will have no issues whatsoever while others the exe just won't launch an installation for a game or in your case, won't launch the game itself.

I'll have a think about any further things you can try. Might even be worth creating another Windows user account and see if PGA 2000 launches under the new account. Certainly also do try and run as admin again. Set both PGAGolf.exe and CourseManager.exe to run as admin. Good luck! Really hope something works for you.

If anyone else has an issue either launching setup.exe to install the game or can't launch PGAGolf.exe as in Greg's case to run the game after the installation, please post.
It will help to have an idea if this is common with the game or rare. Please do try the installation package on this site first if you have this problem with your CD's. Certainly post if your CD's didn't work but the installation package did.
GregK
Novice

Post by GregK »

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I have another pc & will give it a try on that one. I will keep you posted.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

GregK wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:24 am Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I have another pc & will give it a try on that one. I will keep you posted.
Ok, please do.