2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
The Masters

Course 3 of 4

The Masters has an almost tradition of seeing fantastic wins by older tour players, at a time you might wonder if they were going to get another win. And such a win cements their legend. Is there anyone who doesn't know EVERY name on this list of wins for players over 40:

Jack Nicklaus 46 years, 2 months, 24 days (1986)
Tiger Woods 43 years, 3 months, 15 days (2019)
Ben Crenshaw 43 years, 2 months, 30 days (1995)
Gary Player 42 years, 5 months, 9 days (1978)
Sam Snead 41 years, 10 months, 17 days (1954)
Mark O'Meara 41 years, 10 months, 17 days (1954)
Ben Hogan 40 years, 7 months, 30 days (1953)

Its a wet wet weekend for the Masters, and it will be no different for us as we play Terry Armstrong's March 2013 version, another update to match the changes for the real course. This time, its 7442 yards, and of course par 72. Compared to the two previous versions, I found putting very very difficult, and the length increase made getting there that much harder. Terry did his usual marvels with this course and you will really enjoy the visuals.

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 1 - 40%fog

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... strong.zip <-- url fixed

:golf:
Tarheel’s event hcp: 7
Tarheel's .round files
Number 6, par3, 193 yards

Amen corner with dangerous approach shot towards the water on number 11, par 4

Tee over or around the trees number 17, par 4, 447 yards

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
masters2013_splash.jpg
(17.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
masters2013_n6-par3-193yards.jpg
(175.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
masters2013_no11-par4-secondshot.jpg
(195.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
masters2013_no17-par4-447yards.jpg
(225.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Post by Goran »

Played Mackenzie's Augusta National by John McMillan, had it already but forgot it existed. Interesting to play this early version of real Augusta, probably quite accurate bc John was very interested in the old school real designing from what I recall from the old forum.
I played with W3 as driver to get a feel for what the players faced in that time. And no powershooting with any clubs this round. Wish I used the CC skill setting 15-15-0-0-0 bc the clubs used then obviously did not shoot as straight as modern clubs.
Attachments
Mackenzie's Augusta - Goran_MildNorm2.round
(27.34 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Goran wrote: April 8th, 2023, 2:40 pm Played Mackenzie's Augusta National by John McMillan, had it already but forgot it existed. Interesting to play this early version of real Augusta, probably quite accurate bc John was very interested in the old school real designing from what I recall from the old forum.
I played with W3 as driver to get a feel for what the players faced in that time. And no powershooting with any clubs this round. Wish I used the CC skill setting 15-15-0-0-0 bc the clubs used then obviously did not shoot as straight as modern clubs.
Thats a wonderful idea. I plan to replay it using 15-15-0-0-0 and no power drives
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
The Masters

Course 4 of 4

Here on championship Sunday, we are playing the fourth version, and also the most recently created, for JN6. This one was released by Philip Goustin and Chad Derouin in October 2014. Reading the notes, a lot of work went into making this, and it may be the most accurate version available with the use of aerial photos, google earth, topographical maps and includes many custom objects. Also, the addition of the watching crowds adds to the championship environment. Its really a marvel and probably a definitive work, which should take nothing away from the other three versions we have just enjoyed, which are incredible in their own right.

After the really rough weather the last couple of days, going to normal greens but playing in the strong winds this morning may not give too much relief.

Hopefully, if you are playing along, you enjoyed the little trip through JN6 Augusta courses this weekend. I'm sad its over!

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 4: Strong- Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... erouin.zip <--fixed link

Tarheel's .round files
Number 18, tee shot

Number 2, second shot into the green, Par 5

From the tee area, number 16, par 3 over the pond

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
augusta2014-splash.jpg
(24.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta2014-no18-teeshot.jpg
(236.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta2014-no2-secondshot.jpg
(171.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta2014-no16-fromtee.jpg
(211.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-SIX
The RBC Heritage

This year marks the 55th year of the RBC Heritage golf tournament at Harbour Town Golf Links of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. This is a course designed by Pete Dye with help from Jack Nicklaus. According to Pro Golf Weekly:

"The inaugural event, contested on Thanksgiving weekend in 1969, was somewhat overshadowed by the Vietnam War draft lottery, which took place the day after the tournament ended, but it was a thrilling four days, with one of the all-time greats, Arnold Palmer, winning by three strokes."

Davis Love III holds the record for the most course wins, at 5 with his last in 2003. Jordan Spieth is the 2022 defending champion. Looking at the records, I believe Webb Simpson holds the tournament record for his 2020 win at -22 strokes.

Our course is brilliant and was an original design by Shawn Drake for JN4 and JN5 which was modernized for JN6 by James "Bigbird" Deadman 2/22/01. It stands the test of time and still looks and plays great. Its 6398 yds from the black tees and par 71. If you have never played it, you are seriously missing something.

And holy cow, last time I played this was 1/22/2005! It feels like yesterday...

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 2
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 3
Round 3: Medium - Normal - Pin 1
Round 4: Medium - Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... n_2001.zip <-- fixed link

Tarheel's .round files Image
The first time I played this course back in the early 2000's, this hole really "wow"ed me. Its a work of art. Par 3, number 17, 169 yds

A classic finishing hole with a Pebble Beach 18th feel, this par 4, 463 yard hole is not easy. Every year, you can see boats all out in the harbor area and off shore watching the finish.

216 yard, par 3, number 4, with a very threatening look from the tee.

Attachments
harbour_Town-splash.jpg
(18.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_Town-169yds-par3-no17.jpg
(230.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_Town-463yds-par4-no18.jpg
(206 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_Town-216yds-par4-no6.jpg
(253.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 15th, 2023, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-SEVEN
Zurich Classic of New Orleans

The Zurich Classic in Louisana is currently a two man four day event with a cut after day 2. Days 1 and 3 are played with best ball format while days 2 and 4 are played alternate shot. The field is 80 teams at start, and cut to 33 teams for the weekend. A variety of names and sponsors, and even week of the PGA tour, make up the history of this tournament. Since 2005, it has retained its current name and to best of my research, the current format started in 2017. The course this year is TPC Louisiana.

JN6 does not give us this course in the database so by necessity we are playing a Louisiana course The Glen at Pleasant Hill near Shreveport, LA. This course was released by Mark Williams 1/25/08, and he claims it to be a continuation of work from Mike Stein's JN5 version, working on multi-hole window design. It is par 72, 7128 yards from the black tees.

This will be a typical stroke play format.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Strong - Hard - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 3 - 50% Fog
Round 3: Medium - Soft - Pin 4
Round 4: Strong - Normal - Pin 1

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... t_hill.zip <— url fixed

Tarheel’s event hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files
The Glen - Tarheel - medium - soft - pin 4.round
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Hole 13, 181 yards, Par 3 from the tee

Hole 18, is a difficult double dogleg 545 yards. Here is the second shot area.

From the green, hole 6, 424 yards, Par 4.

Attachments
theglen-splash.jpg
(18.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
theglen-hole13-181yds-par3.jpg
(269.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
theglen-hole18-545yds-par5-second shot.jpg
(220.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
theglen-hole6-424yds-par4-fromgreen.jpg
(254.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-EIGHT
Mexico Open at Vidanta

Welcome to beautiful Mexico for our next event. In the real world, you would be playing at Vidanta Valarta, but we don't have that course, and therefore for the second week in a row our tour takes a drop and we play instead at Montezuma's Revenge. This course is not really at a specific site, but instead is a fantasy course meant to pay respects to various regions of Mexico. It was created 4/1/02 by Pat and Rod Christy and listed as a parkland style course, par 72, 7183 yards. You will find a good challenge with many holes with banked sidehills and significant elevation changes on fairways and greens. Its different in a very good way from what we have been doing so far and the bumps on the green will have even short irons unpredictible on the landing. Also, you should enjoy the music, birds, and other sounds.

Pat and Rod Christy also did several other courses: Mountain Christmas 2002, Bikini Isle, Eagle Lake, Middle Earth, Moosehead Bay, and Pine Mountain Valley Yacht GC.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 3
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 4
Round 3: Strong - Normal - Pin 1
Round 4: Medium - Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... evenge.zip <-- url fixed

Hole number 3, par 3, 257 yards

Tight landing area for hole number 1, par 4, 350 yards. There are several holes in this style

Blind drive on hole 13, par 4, 444 yards.

Attachments
montezuma's-revenge_no13-par4-444yds-blinddrive.jpg
(201.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
montezuma's-revenge_no1-par4-350yds-smalllanding.jpg
(260.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
montezuma's-revenge_no3-par3-257yds.jpg
(234.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
montezuma's-revenge_splash.jpg
(28.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I don't usually post a comment post tournament, but I wanted to say that this is my first trip to Montezuma's Revenge, and it was an interesting challenge. Its not as 'flashy' as many of the JN6 standards, but there is a charm here which through each of my four rounds I liked more and more. Some pins have crazy rolls on the green, but that just didn't bother me. I felt like I had to exercise my brain playing through all 18 the entire time. If you have never played here, try it, but you might be like me where after first round you aren't sure what you think about the course. I guarantee on your second 18, you will be a fan. The sound effects were well placed. Nice work.

PS Hole # 6 had my number. Three times I scored a Bogey on it. The hole looks so innocent and benign from the tee. It all comes down to the landing area off the tee with those troublesome bunkers which are magnets for your ball, but if you avoid them successfully, you will have a long shot into the well protected green. If you end up in them, you will have a lot of trouble getting near the green's zip code. Par is a great score on it. Plays like a par 5.

Attachments
hole6green.jpg
(283.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole6.jpg
(203.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole6landing.jpg
(245.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-NINE
Wells Fargo Championship

This time of year brings the tour within 25 minutes of my home near Charlotte, NC. Welcome back to the land of real tour courses, and many thanks to Terry Armstrong again for giving us another great eighteen. We played this course for the President's Cup at the start of the season, and I'm glad to be back. Terry created this one 10/28/2007 and it in every way captures the real course (which I have visited many times) with the exception that some years back, the course was revised ahead of the 2017 PGA Championship. Specifically with changes to the first four holes turned #2 into a par 4 (was par 3) and number 4 into a par 3 (was a par 4). Number 5 was also changed a bit and is now a par 4 (was par 5). There were several other changes as well, including removal of a large number of trees and adding Bermuda grass. It would be pretty cool to see a couple of small tweaks to this course to bring it to the current given Terry's continued course design advances (look at his Gleneagles!!!) The current course is Par 71, 7538 yards and Terry's version is par 72, 7442 yards.

The tournament was first played in 2003 as the Wachovia Championship and it has remained a strong tournament attracting big names. Rory has the most wins to date, with three. Quail Hollow has been host for every year since 2003 except in 2017 when it was held at Eagle Point GC and in 2022 it was held at TPC Potomoc at Avenal Farm (I'm presuming these exceptions had something to do with the PGA Championship being hosted here and the Presidents Cup more recently).

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 2
Round 2: Mild - Normal - Pin 4
Round 3: Medium - Normal - Pin 3
Round 4: Medium - Normal- Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... strong.zip <-- url fixed

Hole 17, signature hole with tough green sloping to either put you in a ditch to the right or in the water to the left and feeding from front to back.

Second shot on hole 7, par 5. Go for it or take the easier birdie? There are some large houses across the water from the green on the right with large lawns perfect for enjoying the spectacle.

Number 14 a short par 4 with the chance to drive the green, but its pretty hard in Terry's version AND in real life. Water lurks in play if you go for it, otherwise its just a pretty view.

Attachments
quail_hollow-splash.jpg
(18.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
quail_hollow-signature-no17.jpg
(233.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
quail_hollow-hole7-2ndshot.jpg
(204.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
quail_hollow-hole14-347yds.jpg
(231.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK THIRTY
AT&T Byron Nelson

The Byron Nelson classic, the leading charity event on the tour, this year is in Mckinney, Texas and played at TPC Craig Ranch. According to the wiki "For much of its history, it was the only PGA Tour stop named after a professional golfer, and remains one of only two such events, along with the Arnold Palmer Invitational. As host, Byron Nelson (1912–2006) commonly made appearances during the tournament. It is hosted by the Salesmanship Club of Dallas, a 600-member civic organization, and has benefited the club's nonprofit Momentous Institute since its inception."

TPC Craig Ranch is not in our database so the substitute course, Bridlewood Golf Club, comes from a designer with many good Texas courses for JN6, Dirk Ephlin. He claims this course to be a real representation of a course in Flower Mound, TX. Its par 73, with five par 5's, and is a 7291 yard woodland style course. He created it in October 2002. There are a few holes with water hazards to play keep away from. Overall its a very nice and fair course.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 3
Round 3: Mild - Soft - Pin 4 - 50% Fog
Round 4: Mild - Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... lewood.zip <-- fixed url

Above the tee on the par 4, 460 yard, number 17

From the green towards the tee over the water off to the left side of the view on number 11, par 3

Second shot on one of the par 5's, number 5, 553 yards. Water hazard is to your right from the tee. Your second is blind over or around trees if you try to go for eagle.

Attachments
bridlewoodgc-5-par5-553-second.jpg
(192.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bridlewoodgc-11-par3-219.jpg
(214.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bridlewoodgc-17-par4-460.jpg
(252.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bridlewoodgc-splash.jpg
(12.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on August 6th, 2023, 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.