Links style pot bunkers thoughts

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Links style pot bunkers thoughts

Post by Goran »

Our links co-design made me experiment with bunkers today, I really would have liked to have just one strategic penal fairway bunker that forces the player to play sideways or at least only a sandwedge forward out of it.

The first one to the left was as deep I could go just sinking it and smoothing around the edges while not looking distorted. Does not stop even long irons though.

Third bunker (to the right) is flat but I had to build up the ground in front of it. It kind of works because you could build the hill in front of it as high as you like, but it would make the hole look silly, having to raise the rest of the fairway a few yards in front of the fairway bunker.

The one in the middle was just flattened and not smoothed at all. It is the only one that works, making it even shallower makes it look less distorted. And you would have to land closer to the forward bunkerwall to not being able to hit it forward.

I have only played a newer game called Perfect Golf the last six or seven years, so I was wondering if any course with bunkers like the one in the middle has been released for GBC since I left. Would be interesting to see how it looks and if it would ruin the visual experience.
Any bunker thoughts would be interesting.

BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Links style pot bunkers thoughts

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Goran,

I know Warren "Aussie Rules" Lamshed used this style of bunker on several of his great courses. He usually made the side walls stone of some description.

Cheers

Brad
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Re: Links style pot bunkers thoughts

Post by Goran »

Aussie Rules was a very productive and creative guy, remember the excitement when he released a new course. Stone walls sound dangerous tho, would rebound myself dead if I played those for real. Or maybe the stone were objects to hide the ugly distortions?
I went through all my bunkers today, did not manage to make them more penal but now they at least look better. Recalled some tricks I used when younger :)