Heath 9 - work in progress

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Re: Heath 9 - work in progress

Post by Goran »

I have been working on a new hole inspired by the best hole (10th) from Royal Troon, where the swede Stenson won the Open 2016 vs Phil Mickelson.
Blind tee shot over a huge sand dune to a fairway that playes 90 degrees to the left. Not trying to copy it yard by yard, just having fun. I might even turn it into a par 5 and build a village behind the greensite, there will be plenty of space.

EDIT Changed to a better looking gorse, and made a new teesite to help with the direction of the tee shot.
Last edited by Goran on January 31st, 2023, 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Looks great, Göran!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

It looks really nice! And, even if you do, there is no shame in copying a great hole.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Thanks Galen and tarheel, the hole became a reachable par 5 (with a powershot). Have not decided if it needs a pond behind the green (to the right in the image) to be more frightening. Maybe I just go with a bunker and let players make a birdie lol.

I spent a few hours playing sim city with the hole, building gardens and streets noone will see nor care about :) I am a bit like my daughter when she was little, she paid a small fortune for The Sims and then she just spent weeks building characters and her house. Both things totally irrelevant for the games, but the most fun parts for the "artists" in us.

BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

The course is coming along nicely Goran. Personally, I believe that all those "Sim City" things you talk about are very important to the whole look of the course and are things that many designers don't give enough time to including. They make the whole course look far more realistic. I'm glad you are taking the time to do them.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Yes I totally agree. The little extras in the back that are irrelevant to play are the things that make for elite courses.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Nearing the end of this course, this is the 17th hole. Copied the hole window and bulldozed it´s fairway and made a reverse par 5 hole on the other side of the sand dune tee area posted above. It is reachable but very risky with gorse hazard in front and a burn behind. I prefer to lay up, mostly because I love this view.
Must admit sometimes the layout and playing values of designing takes a backseat to "painting" picturesque places :) But of course it has to be both to hold replay interest.

When you reach the green and lining up the putt

Last edited by Goran on February 16th, 2023, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

This is going to be good times!
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Love that view Goran. Makes you wonder "What's over the hill?"

I know I am! :laugh:

Cheers

Brad
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

"Makes you wonder "What's over the hill?"
Brad

I felt it would be unfair to let you live in uncertainty Brad :) Here is what is over the hill now; a new tee area to a reverse quite short par 4 and its greensite. The previous par 5 can be seen to the left from the righthand screenshot.

Last edited by Goran on August 1st, 2023, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.