Golden Gate Heights

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Golden Gate Heights

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: June 7th, 2023, 8:22 pm Really a string of neat holes along the bay! I could see the PGA playing this course if it existed, as part of the west coast swing
Tarheel, you asked for Bayside holes and you got em'! :up:
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #15 @ Golden Gate Heights is a 448 yard dogleg left par 4 that temporarily takes you away from the bay. Your fate on this hole will be dictated by the tee shot. Left fairway will leave a blind approach but too far right and you'll find one of two bunkers and the fairway does feed them on that side. The green is fronted by two 'pit bunkers' and another large bunker resides on the right. There is water on the right side as well but it shouldn't come into play. The rolling, undulating putting surface can be challenging as well.
Views from tee, left and right side approach and an aerial shot of the green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard052.jpg
(765.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard051.jpg
(768.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
Clipboard054.jpg
(747.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard053.jpg
(768.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

The layout of this course is so cool. I love the string of bay holes with this return inland. Its a beautiful use of classic course design.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: June 12th, 2023, 9:41 pm The layout of this course is so cool. I love the string of bay holes with this return inland. Its a beautiful use of classic course design.
Tarheel, get ready for some more bay side holes going south.................
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageSorry guys been crazy busy. Had relatives from out of town staying with us and also installing a stock tank pool with deck. Then, my old E-machine computer I use strictly for designing has been acting up. The course is done but needs some artwork and I need to playtest so it will still be a short while until I U/L.
Hole #16 at Golden Gate Heights is taking you back to the bay but heading back in the opposite direction (the bay is to the right of the hole). At 481 yards this par 4 can be daunting with it's intimidating tee shot that must avoid the 'pit bunker' to the left and the waste rock and bay to the right. The long iron approach must split the pair of 'pit bunkers' to find the narrow green. Par is excellent here and each shot will test your skills!
Views from tee, approach and an aerial from behind the green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard056.jpg
(666.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard055.jpg
(617.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard057.jpg
(609.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageDo we have any Superman fans? If we do then welcome to 'Bizarro World'! Hole #17 is literally a backward par 3 and at 206 yards will be deemed the toughest par 3 on the course! You must clear the Bay, rocks and a huge 'pit bunker' to find the green which needless to say is hard to stick but you do have the fairway behind it as a safety mat. Of course that means a perfect chip will be needed to save par Imageon an unforgiving dance floor.
Views from tee and front of green.
Attachments
Clipboard059.jpg
(823.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard058.jpg
(756.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

So close now :)

Yes, I immediately found it bizarro to see the ocean on the right on the last hole and now its back on the left!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: June 29th, 2023, 6:42 pm So close now :)

Yes, I immediately found it bizarro to see the ocean on the right on the last hole and now its back on the left!
LOL, yes indeed a little twist and turn due to the layout of the course overhead had me scrambling to make it work. End result was swinging back to the other side of hole #15 and heading north. None of this probably makes sense until you see the course overhead but I'm impressed that you noticed the swing!!