THE MASTERS

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: THE MASTERS

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Posted on another sports board:

In his Sunday interview at Augusta, Tiger addressed some issues that IMO, makes me think that Tiger will have flashes of inspiration and win a few, maybe several more tournaments in the next 5-10 years, but Tiger "The Exterminator" is finished.

1. Age. He's 35 now, his knee won't allow him to make the powerful swings he made even 5 years ago. His "new swing" is trying to make up for the new reality and so far it hasn't jelled. Will it?

2. Tiger raised the bar in professional golf, and the new "young guns" have responded. Tiger himself said that he was awed by what has become an almost commonplace of driving 300+ yards with control. Last year 12 players averaged 300+ yards. Woods' 300 yard average was the first (Daly hit some whoppers but his inconsistency kept the average below 300.)

3. Even if Tiger can manage to get his control back, his short game has been only average and he's missing a lot of short putts (4-6') that would have been gimmees in his prime. Eye-hand coordination is one of the inevitable losses that comes with aging and this may be having some effect.

4. The intimidation factor is gone and will probably never be replaced. I recall an earlier Masters ('03, '04?) which Tiger led by 1 stroke going into the final round. He made an early birdie, put on the cruise control and shot par the rest of the way (1 bird, 1 boge IIRC.) Everyone else imploded (including Mickelson) as they tried to make up ground.

5. Historically the same thing happened with Nicklaus. By his mid-to-late 30s Jack's game was still good, but there was now a generation of young golfers, inspired by Jack's game, who had reached and surpassed the bar that Nicklaus had raised 10 years earlier. None ever matched him until Tiger came along, but on the other hand Jack could no longer meet that level consistently. Every good golfer of the late 70s-80s wanted to beat Jack and thought they could do it... and many did. The same goes with Tiger, they want to beat the best golfer of their generation and many now believe (and are proving) that they can do it.

6. His personal problems I won't even get into except to say that after you've been exposed as something you're not, the hardest part is not what others think of you but what you think of yourself. This along with the above factors is having a negative effect; obviously, the question is when and if he can look at himself honestly.

Short answer, Tiger isn't finished yet, he'll probably win a dozen (or more) tourneys and maybe a few more majors before he hangs it up or heads to the Champions Tour. But IMO his days of dominance are behind him because of the quality of the new guys and his own aging body. Which IMO is a good thing. The quality of play has vastly improved over the past 5 years (I only regret that Tiger never had the level of competitive golfers surrounding him that Jack had) while the level of competition in any given event has also risen.)
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Indy,

I think that is a pretty good assessment of Tiger at this point. Frankly, he is nothing more than a fairly domestic pro now.

The only reason he gets so much air time is because golf feels they need Tiger for ratings... and that is probably true. He still gets mentioned by every commentator, even if he is shooting one of his so-so, tatrum-filled, profanity-laced rounds. He vowed to change and treat the game with more respect... he hasn't. To be honest, I am tired of hearing about the little elitist snob.

Will he regain his winning edge? Who cares?

Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

I agree with you 100% Dar, I've been sick of him (actually the media coverage) for years but then I've always had a big hate for dominating teams in any sports (Yankees, Cowboys, Duke, USC, Lakers... sorry Pops.)

In a broadcast a couple of weeks ago Johnny Miller said (paraphrase) that golf fans are crying for something that can win regularly that they can get behind. Ie, a new bandwagon to jump on since the Woodsmobile has bent an axle. I don't see it; there's just too much talent in the 20-30 year old pool and these guys are going to be beating each other up on a regular basis for years, IMO, and frankly I'm glad to see that.

I think the talking heads are hoping that Michelle Wie becomes a female Tiger (tigress?) because she gets a lot of the same hype that Woods get, and she really hasn't accomplished anything yet. Of course the LPGA will never get the attention of the PGA, but she's still someone they can really get behind. No offense intended to Yani Tseng, the current #1, but she just doesn't have enough "hollywood" about her to catch their attention. She's won 3 tourneys and came in second at the LPGA Championship so far this year, but if you're not tall, lithe, and beautiful, forget it.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Our family's personal favorite in the hunt so far is K.J. Choi. He has been in the top 10 at Augusta before - at 40 years of age and not the ball striker he used to be, this could be his best chance at a major. U.S. Open and British Open wins don't seem to be in his future and a PGA is really on the same level as a Player's Championship, so does it really count if he wins that one?! :) We like him because - well - because he's K.J. - pleasant, persistent and a former power lifter!!! :)

Personally, I am tired of seeing Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods and all of the other familiar faces taking home the hardware. I don't really want to see someone young win it either - too many good players at the other side of their competitive best that I'd like to see get a major first. Martin Kaymer's words might have been taken out of context - hope so, because no one should win at Augusta that sees it as just another tournament. Fred Couples is probably the fan favourite right now - 51 and in the hunt - charm and personality and American - kind of like Tom Watson a little while ago. It might be nice to see it, but I don't think he will be there in round 4. All of this leads me to agree with my girls, K.J. Choi is the man to root for to win it. He's kind of American - lives in Texas most of the year with his family. He's not young, he's never won it before but he has the proven game at Augusta to compete. It's now or never K.J.!!! :)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Well Tiger is at -6 at the moment with a couple of holes left to play. So this raises the interesting question is Tiger back (at least for this week) or, as has the case of late, is this his good round of the week? It's sad on my part, and I won't argue that I have a small mind at times, but the higher he rises the lower my interest in watching the event. I never watched one of his wins at Augusta and I won't this year either (should it occur.) Again, it's not really Tiger so much (ok, a lot of it is) as the way the damned media just fawns and grovels at his feet. I'll bet 40 minutes of the last hour the camera was fixed on Woods. That's what I'm tired of.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

My Masters winner Jason Day after a opening round 72 shoots -8 (64). A new record score on Friday by a 1st time player. That also puts hom in 2nd just 2 shots back. I still don't think he'll win but it sure would be strange if he did after winning mine. My 2 picks Phil at -2 and Schwartzel at -4 still have a chance but they have to go low.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Your looking at things the wrong way. This is evereyones chance. If Tigers in contention come the back 9 on Sunday I want to see if the others at or near the top will fold like what used to always happen or will they step it up when the preasure is on. Hopefully someone will step up and whoop Tiger.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

I'm going to be the parochial Aussie and hope either Day or Ogilvy can get up fro the win :D I'm a big fan of Ogilvy and Day is looking handy for a young guy.

I don't mind McIllroy either or KJ. Any of those to win. Is Tiger back? Who knows. Again, I'm not a big fan of his, but if he wins, he wins. Hopefully not though.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Tiger is pretty much a "cautionary tale" now! I think his public/marketable image is unrepairable. He may have a few more wins in his book, but the "My Image-is-everywhere" days are long gone, I think.

Time will tell I guess. Sometimes the dust just needs to settle. Someone once said: "Time heals all wounds." That may be true for other sports, but golf fans have a VERY-GOOD and lengthy memories.

Like I said... time will tell!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

It's great isn't it?
Low scores are out there.
We may not even have mentioned the winner yet!
2 low rounds over the weekend could move anyone right up there.
Obviously, as a european I'm rooting for Rory, sentiment says Fred (unlikely), but Tiger does look ominous, didn't play really well yesterday but still shot 66.
Question is, does he intimidate the new breed of young guns like he used to , or is he just another player to them?
I don't think so so much.