THE MASTERS

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: THE MASTERS

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Weather for Augusta:

Today: Variable clouds with thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. High 87F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms early. Skies will become mostly clear late. Low 63F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

Tomorrow: Sunshine. Hot. High 91F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

If it rains today, it will keep greens moist and the scores low. Augusta National needs to be dry and fast.
It's anybody's Masters if their within 6 of the leader. Should be an interesting day.
Stan
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

Geez so many Tiger haters...lol

I look at him as strickly a golfer,no different then I look at Jack or Arnie. Yes there off course life is much more respectable but I`m not judging them on there personel life I`m judging them by what they have acomplished on the golf course. I wish now I had witnessed every shot Jack and Arnie made, its certainly golf history that will out live me and my grandkids without a doubt. No matter what you feel about Tiger as a man,as a golfer he can never be counted out,as yesterday proves he only needs 9 holes to make an impact. And Judy you may not like the coverage he gets,and understandably so, but the networks however know that if Tiger never wins again he will still be considered one of the greatest golfers of all time. And if Jack or Arnie were still competeing,and contending,they would warrant the same coverage bestowed on Tiger now. They have earned it, and people would be interested in what they are doing...good or bad.
As For Tiger on the course,if he wins great,but if he loses i prefer him playing good and someone beating him by playing better,then Tiger self destructing and giving the Jacket to another. Beating Tiger when he has played well has got to be more rewarding then winning when he has finished towards the middle of the pack. Ethier way I`ll enjoying watching and would never consider not tuning in.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Well,
I don't think it will be so easy to make up the 4 stroke lead that McIlroy enjoys.
But, It's Augusta National where anything can happen , especially, with Sunday pins.
Should be good viewing.
Stan
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

My how times have changed...

This years Masters winner will get a payout of $1,350,000 (18% x $7.5 million) :eek:

Jack Nicklaus won his first masters in 1963 and got $20,000 for his effort
He won his last Masters in 1986 and got a payout of $144,000 (better, but still paltry by today's standard)

Though Nicklaus is the winningest pro of all time, his total career earnings were only around $8.7 million. It is not unusual to see pros today earn that in a single year, not even counting the FedEx Cup payout. Tiger Woods had signed endorsement contracts worth 10X Jack's total career earnings before he ever swung a club on tour.

Nice work if you can get it... lol
Dar
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I did watch yesterday's round and thoroughly enjoyed it. McIlroy played some excellent golf the last 5 holes and seems to have his head screwed on pretty tight. Of course today he won't be playing with Jason Day for the first time this week, and Cabrera has the credentials to win it again (although Kenny Perry's meltdown is the main reason he won.) IIR what I heard earlier, this is McIlroy's 3rd visit to Augusta so he's not likely to have rookie shakes. If Tiger's putting had held up (like Friday's) he'd be right up there. Alas, alas. :D
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Well I'm glad I didn't bet any money on Rory, but it was just sad the way he fell apart on 10 and thereafter. Hopefully it'll be one of those experiences that makes him stronger after the pain wears off.

Congratulations to Charl Schwartzl on a fantastic b9 and win and also high-5s and kudos to the Aussies Jason Day and Adam Scott and to the rest of the challengers who made this the most fantastic Masters finish I've ever watched.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Congratulations to Charl Schwartzel !
A very deserving winner.
His play was the best when it counted.
Stan
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

A Hollywood script writer could not have come up with a more exciting finish to the Masters. There were no less than 7-8 players who COULD have won. It came down to the last couple holes. Charl Schwartzel made a couple improbable knee-knocker putts on the closing holes to seal the deal. He was incredibly cool and collected under intense pressure. No doubt, he deserved to win. Congratulations Charl.

Unquestionably, this was one of the most entertaining golf tournaments we have seen in quite a while.

Dar
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Was a VERY GOOD finish for Schwartzel. He will always remember the win, but even more, how he WON it! To Birdie the last four holes en route to a win is the stuff that Fairy-Tales are made of!

I thought it was a Great Masters to watch!