Devil's Cut

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Devil's Cut

Post by Jim Hall »

So, I've temporarily abandoned Noble Oak to chew on another desert course - Devil's Cut. It is built around a desert River pictured below. Haven't routed a hole yet, but already have 338,000 2D objects :laugh:

Splash Screen:
Devil's Cut Splash Screen.jpg
(81.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Desert River & Pano:
Desert Scene copy.jpg
(764.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Re: Devil's Cut

Post by Jim Hall »

Hole 1 with the occasional cottonwood along the riverbank. The tee box actually points you at the site of the dogleg, but you can challenge the two bunkers in the fairway if you wish. Word of warning, they are deep LOL
Hole 1.jpg
(798.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

I've finished Devil's Cut and will upload it when possible. In the meantime, here are a couple of additional pics.
Course Layout.jpg
(630.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 7 Tee.jpg
(880.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 11 Green.jpg
(829.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
shot meister
Chronic Slicer

Post by shot meister »

Jim,

The course loads very slowly! I had to attempt it twice to get it to run. Once on the course, my position on the 1st tee was all messed up. You might want to check that. I believe you have a little too much detail with the amount of objects you have on the course. I think the layout is okay..not too difficult. My preference would be to have a little more movement on the greens. They seemed to be fairly easy. Also, I don't think it is necessary to make your own libraries for a course. There are a lot of excellent ones already and the "stock" ones probably have all you need. Your devil's cut library is rather large and maybe if you use more "stock" ones it would help with the loading.

Bruce
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Thanks for the input Bruce. I'm assuming you are referencing the fact that you are facing too far right off of the first tee. The hole is a sharp dogleg right and for some reason the game starts the hole with the player facing in the general direction of the green. There is a discussion of this issue in the Technical Help section (http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... php?t=1332).

I'm curious about the slow loading issue. You mentioned a couple of other issues you have had with my courses in a PM. Have to admit, I have never seen these issues and I playtest rigorously throughout the design process though I did miss an initial texture issue with Old Elk that was pointed out and corrected.

As far as libraries go, it isn't clear to me why using a single library rather than multiple libraries would affect the loading time. And, not to be argumentative, but when compared to many other libraries, mine are comparable in size. For example, the Devil's Cut library is 19,281 KB as compared to the whopping 33.308 KB size of the Beartooth Pass library and I have no problem loading and playing either. I don't know if this may be due to differences in our respective systems or not.

I'm also wondering if my generous use of layers in Devil's Cut could be causing your issues. They certainly add to the complexity of the course. Have to admit, use of layers was mostly experimental though I do like using them for desert courses when possible. Not using them at all in my most recent design.

There are a few reasons I have chosen to create my own libraries. First, I find it frustrating if I have to install a number of different libraries to play a course. I typically don't keep many libraries installed, including the stock ones, when designing (I've never been able to get the cloaking tool to work on my system). Second, I do occasionally use objects from other libraries and definitely use textures that have already been created. However, I typically modify them heavily to fit the course I'm working on. Finally, almost all of the objects, and definitely the panos, in my libraries are unique and don't appear in other libraries. Thus, new objects and panos are available and I sort of view this as a service to the community.

In any event, I have certainly enjoyed our interactions and benefitted from them. Also, I really appreciate the fact that you are providing an alternative site for PGA 2000 courses (http://www.spicegolf.com/pgaindex.html). In fact, your whole site, http://www.spicegolf.com/, is definitely worth viewing!