Patriot's Point

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Patriot's Point

Post by Sundance »

ImageWelcome to Patriot's Point a course dedicated to the men and women who have served our Country past and present.
The opening hole at Patriot's Point is a 217 yard par 3. Though a long par 3 the green and tees are set up to accomodate the golfer and pin #1 centered on the green will most likely see quite a few aces over the years. There is a bunker on the left and two on the right as well as a large lake that sits on the right and rear of the dance floor but this is a scoring hole!
Views from the tee, rear and left side of the green.

This course is dedicated to Charlie Roberts our Friend and fellow designer.Image
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
(696.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard01.jpg
(766.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Patriot's Point

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
(787.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

What a wonderful tribute to Charlie!
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

:up:
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole # 2 @ Patriot's Point is a 406 yard par 4 and another scoring opportunity. Though your hitting over water off the tee it shouldn't come into play but then again those murky depths do seem to draw us into them. You can put a little juice into your tee shot but even the end of the fairway leaves a blind approach. Two bunkers protect the landing area one on each side that can hinder but not ruin your second shot. The green has a horseshoe pond protecting everything but the left side and it can come into play especially on those windy days. The green is tolerant to your putting skills so two good shots should reward you.
Views from the tee, approach and two green shots.Image
Attachments
Clipboard05.jpg
(761.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard04.jpg
(711.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
Clipboard06.jpg
(783.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard07.jpg
(778.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #3 @ Patriot's Point is a 473 yard par 4. You can crank it up off the tee on this slightly downhill shot but avoid the two bunkers on the left. If you get too close the fairway feeds them both. For the most part the hole is wide open allowing for small miscues. The mid to long iron approach is uphill and you must carry the green that's isolated and elevated from the fairway. The undulating green will test your skills and a par here is earned.

Designer Notes: I don't know how much longer I'll be designing these things and wanted to add a little insight as I go. First I want to address a pet peeve I've always had about my designs. When I first started these designs the most complaints were addressed to my use of 'eye candy'. Several so called notable designers would make comments that I over did the plantings. Now I've been to quite a few courses over the years , some plain and some with plantings everywhere. I found them all to be fantastic. There's just something about golf courses perhaps the open expanse or the feeling you get when your on one but I always appreciated the extra effort that was put into the layout. It made me realize that the complaints about my designs were really just coming from designers that didn't want to put in that extra effort. It definitely does take a lot of work to dress up the tee , landing and green areas but the effort is rewarding when the end result makes your design better so if your a new designer take that extra effort no matter what style you choose. The background, textures and objects are extremely important to your design as well as the elevation work so be sure to put in the time to make it right! I'll add little points and notes as I go through this current design but that's it for now. Image
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
(696.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard01.jpg
(769.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
(722.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I think the little extras complete the designs. As usual, your courses just keep looking better and better. Just played a round at Golden Gate yesterday and getting ready to play another now. This course is visually coming along nicely, to match that perfect design.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:47 am I think the little extras complete the designs. As usual, your courses just keep looking better and better. Just played a round at Golden Gate yesterday and getting ready to play another now. This course is visually coming along nicely, to match that perfect design.
Thanks Brad for the kind words and also for using our designs and keeping the game alive!