Patriot's Point

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Patriot's Point

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard09.jpg
(901.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageAt 219 yards the par 3 15th hole @ Patriot's Point with the wind blowing in your face is a true challenge. The green is small and fronted by tough bunker and if you overshoot your target there's water behind the dance floor for good measure. This will test your mettle!

Views from tee and green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard11.jpg
(692.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard10.jpg
(715.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Thank God this design survived your computer problems!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #16 @ Patriot's Point is a 473 yard par 4 and the toughest hole on the course. Hitting into the wind you must challenge the water on the right for distance while three bunkers line the the left side of the landing area. Reaching the green in two is already a tough prospect and a strong headwind will force most to layup and chip to the green that is fronted by water then a tough bunker. Par here is excellent!

Views from tee, approach and green.

Designer notes: When using adjacents I like to use actual holes if possible. On 16 from the tee you can clearly see the green from the 15th hole. When combining adjacent holes and them being actual holes on the course it increases both the depth and characteImager of your design.
Attachments
Clipboard13.jpg
(652.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard12.jpg
(747.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard14.jpg
(654.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #17 @ Patriot's Point is a 394 yard par 4. The old timers would call this a target hole which amuses me as every golf hole ever designed has a specific target your shooting for. I was guilty as well of calling a few holes target holes because you only have one option off the tee but there again most holes have an ideal spot to land for your approach. This one has two huge bunkers on either side of the landing area and you also must be leary of overshooting the end of the fairway. There is a crosswind at your back pulling to the left and your wedge approach if you find the fairway should leave you in a very favorable position to birdie on this giving green. This is a scoring hole!

Views from tee, approach and green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard16.jpg
(739.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard15.jpg
(801.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard17.jpg
(785.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageThe 559 yard par 5 18th @ Patriot's Point is a nice finishing hole. You can lay up on the 2nd shot and go for the birdie or you can gamble and shoot through the trees for the eagle. The green can be reached in two but it takes a very accurate shot and perhaps a whole lot of luck. Oh, first you have to find the fairway off the tee and with the wind at your back and the minuscule target that's not an easy quest. Anything off the fairway or in a bunker will force you to lay up on the 2nd shot and that's not an entirely bad situation considering the consequences of going for the green. All in all it's a good finish for your round.
Views from the tee, both approaches and two around the green.Image

Designer notes: I've included several objects from the other objects palette to show off the stock objects and how they can be utilized. I included the stone wall section to explain how it can be used to give your design some depth when you don't have much space at the end of a par 5 which is a real pain for designers. You have to be careful with objects like fences and walls as far as placement goes. If you use these along the edge of a hole often times from a different angle it will break up and look ridiculous. I tend to use them in at the left or right side of my designs so you are looking at them directly. What I did with this wall near the clubhouse at the end of the hole is size it at 10'. First I leveled a long strip of terrain where I wanted to place the wall and then lined them up slightly overlapping the ends of each section to give it a nice level look. Also be careful placing objects if front or behind the walls or fences. If you place them too close to the sections they will appear to move back and forth in front or behind the walls or fences. A little practice and you have a new arsenal for your designs!

I would like to Thank all who have supported and encouraged me with my designs over the years and there are so many who have. Some are gone now but never forgotten. Know that I truly appreciate all the comments, advice and interest you have shown!! Thank You!!

Patriot's Point is completed and in the hands of Tarheel who has been kind enough to post our designs at this new location. I hope you enjoy the course and please play with the flag included in the file as it really adds to the feel of the course. There is no text file but if you follow this thread there are plenty of tips on the play of the course. Pin #5 has a few very tough pin placements but most are more than fair! Remember, swing easy and keep your head down!
Attachments
Clipboard19.jpg
(775.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard18.jpg
(784.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
Clipboard21.jpg