WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 7
Second Weekly Venue
Designer Break: Steve Holden
Bogey Bay

Where are we?
A beautiful course by the sea possibly in Florida or maybe the Carib. A vacation spot in Steve Holden's mind.

For those parched from the trip to the southwestern desert scene, Steve gives us a fabulous seaside course he calls Bogey Bay. The design was completed 1/11/17, and is 7259 yards. Make sure to take a look at the second intro screen where he gives us some insights into the efforts that went into getting it done. The last seaside course I remember playing of his was early in the 22-23 PGA season at Palm Harbor, week 8 substitute for El Camaleón Golf Course at Mayakoba. I highly recommend that one and this one!

As an aside, Steve has a knack for these courses! I haven't played them, and their time will come for sure, so also look for Divot Cove and Beacon Island as other seaside courses of his. If you are listening Steve, and need inspiration down the road after your current great looking project I'd be interested in your take on a desert island tropical course. Specifically, Aruba comes to mind. My last visit there, I was shocked to see that outside of the resorts, the island has these beautiful views of the ocean, but the place is really a desert (Cactus, tumbleweed, scrubbrush etc.). Sort of a southwest meets carib vibe/sandbelt type of course.

In any event, this is our last course celebrating Steve in this designers break, but I have plans later to play a couple more of his courses along the 'real world' path. You will certainly agree that two rounds are not enough on Bogey Bay.

PLAY INFORMATION

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 3
Round 2: Mild - Soft - Pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
No mulligans (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... ey_Bay.zip

:golf:
Tarheel’s current hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files Image
Looking to the clubhouse near the green on number 18.

Number 2, looking back from the green towards tee.

From the tee on number 8

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
bogey_bay-splash.jpg
(22.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bogey_bay-number18_clubhouse_green.jpg
(151.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bogey_bay-hole2_lookingbackfromgreen.jpg
(203.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bogey_bay-hole8_fromtee.jpg
(244.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 8
First Weekly Venue
Kabunai Bay Golf Resort

Where are we?
We have travelled from Nepal to southeast asia to Malaysia to start our southern hemisphere tour.

A big thank you to Steve Holden for our two week diversion enjoying four of his courses from the past.

We resume the WorldSwing southeast of our last course, Mt. Kongur, and enter Malaysia for play at Kabunai Bay Golf Resort, created by Peter TS Müller, January 7, 2004. We are currently in the 'up above hopabout' before we go down under for a month. This is a really nice looking design and you will feel the 7585 yards at the tee boxes where you must either swing easy and resolve to hit a long iron or power drive to have a chance at throwing darts from close. Playing Steve's courses recently was good practice, because Peter also was good at putting sand traps right where you don't want them! This is a course offering a nice transition from inland to coastal play and you should enjoy the tropical surroundings. Fairways often have elevation changes and balls will be rolling also sideways across slants. A few teeboxes have a tiny bit of tilt, so make sure to account for that when necessary.

Its worth your time playing Peter's courses, also take a look at:
Bergen Im Chiemgau
Fenfield Rod & Gun club
Mephisto Bay
Goodfella's

Just to name a few of them. We have not played the last course of his this season.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Soft - Pin 4 - 70%fog (rain)
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... ai_bay.zip

Hole number 2 in the rain, on approach

Hole 7, par 5, looking back from the green. This is a hole with the green way off to the right as on overhead

Hole 18 from the tee. Fun to end a course on a par 3. Seems uncommon.

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
malaysia.jpg
(55.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kabunai-bay_splash.jpg
(18.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kabunai-bay_hole2-approach.jpg
(175.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kabunai-bay_hole18-tee.jpg
(255.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kabunai-bay_hole7-par5-fromgreen.jpg
(221.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 8
Second Weekly Venue
Fossil Rim Country Club

Where are we?
A short skip over the sea to Borneo, due east of our last course in Malaysia.

This is our first Dirk Ephlin design for the season. Last season we played several, some were co-designs. Indian Wells being the one immediately coming to my mind as part of the west coast swing during the PGA West event week 14.

Given that his email was at some point texasgolfer and he created a lot of Texas golf courses for the JN series, I'll take a leap and say he is indeed from Texas! This course, a bit of a departure from the states, lands us in Borneo for a course that was part of a design contest in 2010 that involved at least six designers. This one, Fossil Rim Country Club is par 70 and 6847 yards. Even in medium winds, the spacious fairways, shortish holes and mostly benign greens should allow for low scores.

Check out Falcon Falls, Grand Canyon, Pecan Valley (both of them), Diamond Oaks, and Bridlewood (played last season on my PGA tour) as some of his more visually appealing releases.

I'm not sure where Dirk is right now and I would like to say thank you for his large contributions to JN. Unfortunately, a quick google search led me to an obituary page for an elderly Mr. Ephlin in Texas, who died this year, and whose obituary reads he was preceded in death by his two sons, one of whom's name was Dirk.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 5
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... il_rim.zip

From the tee on number 11, with the golden bear watching on.

Hole 7, par 5, from the green looking back with tee off to your right, hidden.

Par 3 number 5 seen from the green with tee to your right over the water. You will find the water not immediately obvious due to the green tint, look for white low lying vegetation around many of the water hazards as a warning.

Attachments
borneo.jpg
(51.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fossil_rim-5_par3_green.jpg
(246.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fossil_rim-7_par5_fromgreen.jpg
(217.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fossil_rim-11_fromtee_bear.jpg
(254.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fossil_rim-splash.jpg
(15.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 9
First Weekly Venue
Club Djakarta

Where are we?
Currently island hopping in Indonesia. Currently we are near Jakarta.

Tom Glass delivered to us one of his four courses for JN5/6, Club Djakarta in April of 1999. His other three being Little Auckland, Royal Auckland and Links at Kahanamouri Valley. A brief career as a designer for GBC, but an interesting eye for the designs. This course is an Indonesian Jungle/Tropical course fitting to our current geographical tour visit. The color of the water is particularly unusual compared to most JN customs I have played, but its not unpleasant...just really wild. He claims the course to be on an island near Jakarta, and that despite the political hotspot its in, remains fairly remote and isolated. He wanted to show the wildlife in the area, and I think as you play you will certainly find them around and hear them. The course is 7180 yards and par 71. We will start play with very benign conditions, but I hear that the wind is coming at round 2.

Please note that Round 2 conditions will be posted the day after Halloween, and that we have some trick or treating to do first, as we will catch a charter to some haunted regions of new england tomorrow!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Hard - Pin 3
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 5

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... akarta.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 9
Tarheel's .round files
Hole 3, par 4, seen from the green back to golfer hitting approach

Par 5, number 10, second shot behind the golfer with some local wildlife

Tee shot on hole 12, par 3

Attachments
islandhopping.jpg
(54.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
club_djkarta-par4_hole3_fromgreen.jpg
(218.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
club_djkarta-par5_hole10_secondshot.jpg
(206.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
club_djkarta-par3_hole12_teejpg.jpg
(245.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
club_djkarta-splash.jpg
(22.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on November 2nd, 2023, 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 9
Special Event: Halloween Scare
Sleepy Hollow

Where are we?
We are somewhere near the Hudson in New York, the West Woods

Let's take another short break from the tour for a special spooky round of golf on October 31st. This time, we are playing Bryan Carroll's course Sleepy Hollow a thematic course released October 2001. I think there are some hidden features if observant, or if you hit off course, but for my round I mostly enjoyed the eerie sounds and the atmospheric tree work. The black creeks/water hazards also fit well with the design. I will need to play again with a better attention to hidden customs to go along with the story of the Headless Horseman if they are there. I would suggest while playing that you turn the announcers off, because they seem rather chipper in the grim environment (well, if you're playing well).

Bryan says the course was built in 1799, but was abandoned for 200 years due to 'disappearances' Oddly though, the course was kept in good condition during the interim. Rounds are free, but beware of the lurking horseman...

Carroll also released Coyote Cliffes, Biwabik Ridge and Kauai Island (lost course).

Remember, round 2 for the regular event will be posted in the above post sometime tomorrow.

PLAY INFORMATION

ONE ROUND: Medium - Normal - Pin 1 - 90% Fog (very important for theme)

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... hollow.zip

Number 12 from the tee, with the fog effects

Hole 15, par 3, at the green, looking up at the 'Tree of the Dead'

The approach shot on hole 16

Attachments
sleepy_hollow-number12_tee.jpg
(194.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sleepy_hollow-hole15_par3_treeofthedead.jpg
(196.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sleepy_hollow-hole16_approach.jpg
(139.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sleepy_hollow-splash.jpg
(15.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
horseman.jpg
(120.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 9
Second Weekly Venue
Cocos Island

Where are we?
We are west of Australia at the Cocos Islands, southwest of our most recent course in Indonesia

Now for our last course 'up above' before we head to Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania proper. This course, which I think is rather difficult, can become insanely difficult in tough winds, so hold on to your toupee! Voyen Koreis brings us Cocos Island, a jungle type island course by the sea. This is par 72, 7209 yards, and features plenty of wildlife to hear, not to mention the cry of a madman in the canopy. Fairways are roller-coaster like and its easy to find yourself off the short grass or in the white grains. Also, there are areas you can hit in where you will not be able to hit far out of, so be very careful with placement. Elevation changes can at times be massive. Visually, pretty stunning course.

Voyen made many challenging and handsome courses amongst which are Alluring Lakes, Apple Isle, Baroon Creek, Bohemian Forest (played on my last tour), etc.

Best of luck!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Strong - Normal - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Hard - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... Island.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Second shot on hole 15. Notice that your second shot is a massive downhill blind shot

Hole 5, looking back from the green on this par 4.

Par 3 number 13. Talk about a drop! This makes Pebble Beach's famous downhill par 3 look flat!

Attachments
cocos.jpg
(35.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cocos_hole15-secondshot.jpg
(221.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cocos_hole5-fromgreen.jpg
(214.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cocos_hole13-par3.jpg
(231.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cocos_splash.jpg
(19.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 10
First Weekly Venue
Royal Auckland Golf Club and Resort

Where are we?
New Zealand, Kaipara Harbour, in the north

Our tour is now headed "down under" having spent our last bit of time north of the Australian latitudes. Today we are in New Zealand, up in the northern part of the country. Our course is Royal Auckland Golf Club and Resort by Tom Glass, Sept 2000. It is a fictional par 72, 6993 yards, challenging adventure. He claims that the course idea was created in 1972 with three professional golfers who wanted to use the landscapes north of Auckland, thought to be useless for anything civilized due to the rocky terrain. The course was finished in 1975 after much difficulty, much to the delight of golfers since, with wonderful eye candy.

Don't be fooled as you play, because even the short par 4's are going to be difficult. Many positions along the course may find you obstructed by some low hanging branches. Local course knowledge is helpful if you can get a proper caddy.

Best of luck!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 3
Round 2: Mild - Normal - Pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... ckland.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Number 17, from the tee, with Geyser's to the left!

From the green, a handsome downhill par 3, number 14

Number 7 from the second shot on this par 5. In this case, the drive is a bit too far left and view to a two shot green placement is obstructed partially. You can just make out the flagstick top in the distance.

Attachments
new_zealand.jpg
(47.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
royal_auckland-splash.jpg
(21.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
royal_auckland-no17_fromtee.jpg
(211.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
royal_auckland-no14_par3_fromgreen.jpg
(238.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
royal_auckland-no7_par5_drivetoofarleft.jpg
(243 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 10
Second Weekly Venue
Biscayne Bay

Where are we?
New Zealand, near Wellington

Just a quick jump south brings us to the Wellington area of New Zealand to play Biscayne Bay, a course which went through JN4 and JN5 editions before landing us with this one. Dan "O" Bunch dedicates this course to "Ladyhawke (Dale)" whom he declares as his inspiration, and I think thats such a lovely thing! As I play these courses and read the descriptions, it brings the humanity of this game into high relief. I find myself thinking about the designer and their special people and hoping they are doing well somewhere out there.

Amazingly, I don't think I ever played this course before, and its a strong piece of fictional work from May 1999, in the wild west early days of getting to know the JN6 designer. A lot of classic works come from this era. In this case, you could plant this one along the pacific coast alongside Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Carmel Point, Crash Point West, and so forth for our game and it would fit right in. I'm not showing them below, but the hole overheads are informative and very detailed.

This one is par 72, 6933 yards, and amazingly only about 10 mb file size. Truly amazing to fit this beauty into a carry-on.

Also see Dan's other courses including
Beaver Creek
Absinthe
Citadel
Isle de Diablo
Savage River

...just to name a few.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Strong - Hard - Pin 1
Round 2: Strong - Hard - Pin 1 (yes, the same!)
(Real world winds are tough this weekend! I meant to change the pin but forgot in my haste to play. Its interesting to see if you can be consistent twice with same conditions anyway)
BONUS ROUND 3: Medium - Normal - Pin 3
(I played another one for a bonus, to give a different look at the course)

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... yGBC99.zip

Hole number 9 from the tee on closeup. Great rear raised bunkers ahead

Par 3, number 3 seen from the green back

Approach shot to hole 11 green over the water, par 4

Attachments
wellington_nz.jpg
(34.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Biscayne_bay-hole9_fromtee.jpg
(196.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Biscayne_bay-hole3_par3_fromgreen.jpg
(175.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Biscayne_bay-hole11_approach_par4.jpg
(209.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Biscayne_bay-splash.jpg
(24.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 11
First Weekly Venue
Tennant Creek

Where are we?
Australia, Northern Territory

Hop a flight west from New Zealand and join us for action in the Northern Territory, for play at Tennant Creek, a 2003 creation from Warren Lamshed, "Aussierules" This is a really interesting golf course with textures and colors very much atypical for Jack Nick golfin' I haven't ever been to this part of the world, so I'll leave it to those who have been to judge how true to form it is, but seems believable to me!

Its 6824 yards, par 72, and very very flat for the most part with a lot of brown to see. Fairways are often littered with weedy looking grass plugs, but they won't likely interfere. The trees are often in your path, but generally easy to hit over. You will find wildlife around if you look carefully. The biggest obstacle to good scoring will be the greens, but they are not consistently difficult. Having played a couple of recent rounds in the Strong winds elsewhere, the first round here in mild might be shockingly easy, so take advantage and go throw your darts out there!

Aussierules brought us a lot of great courses including these few:
The Grange
The CC @ Mirasol
Shoal Haven
Riverdale
Paradise Lakes
Lake Regret

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Hard - Pin 4
Round 2: Medium - Hard - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _creek.zip

Hole 6, par 5, second shot

Par 3 number 17 from the green

Tee shot on par 4 no 16

Attachments
northernterritory.jpg
(29.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tennett_creek-par5_hole6_second.jpg
(281.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tennett_creek-par3_no17_fromgreen.jpg
(267.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tennett_creek-par4_no16_fromtee.jpg
(269.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tennett_creek-splash.jpg
(24.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on November 15th, 2023, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Warren's courses were always unique and outstanding! He is a great designer!