WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 29
First Weekly Venue
Designer Break: Terry Armstrong
Callaway Mountain

Terry released Callaway Mountain to the community in June 2022. Unfortunately, during the big crash of the course database, I may not have been able to rescue any files associated with it that gave more description, and the title screen is blank sadly. Its a really nice later day release from Terry. I believe this is a real world course which is located southwest of Atlanta at Pine Mountain, Georgia. The real course website touts two courses, mountain view and lake view. This is probably the mountain view course as it doesn't sport a lot of water and because the 6th hole is described as the signature hole with tee and approach shots over water and because the course has "tight fairways lined by towering pines." Also, the course says Callaway Gardens on the choose a course tab, but the course itself, as in the splash, says Callaway Mountain. Therefore, I conclude this is Callaway Gardens, mountain course. Et voilà a real course rendition. A comment about the towering pines though...I'd have to see the real course to see what they mean, but I wouldn't say I see huge numbers of towering pines on Terry's version, but I'm also not a professional treesman.

If you keep it on the fairways and especially if you can add some power, you will frequently be attacking greens with short irons. However, some pins have highly annoying slopes that will spin your brain around, whereas others are straight as an arrow. Also, beware, as a few tees are not even, which is unusual for Terry, but they are not terribly sloped, so only need minor adjustment.

This is another classic Armstrong which aside from nitpicks, is a top tier entry to the catalog for JN.

Par 72, 7055 yards.

PLAY INFORMATION

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 4
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
No mulligans (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... llaway.zip

:golf:
Tarheel’s current hcp: 9
Tarheel's .round files Image
Number 6, par 5 with water right; this is the second shot

Tee look from number 18

Third shot coming into the par 5 number 11 green

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
Callaway_gardens-splash.jpg
(18.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Callaway_gardens-par5_6_second.jpg
(222.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Callaway_gardens-18_tee.jpg
(231.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Callaway_gardens-11_par5_third_green.jpg
(244.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 29
Second Weekly Venue
Designer Break: Terry Armstrong
Pelican Hill, Ocean South Course

The Pelican Hill, Ocean South Course, released in 2002 by Terry is really great. Its a very solid real world course translation to Jack Nicklaus virtual golf. Its par 70, 6634 yards and is a nice California coastal course taking you to the seaside and back. It easily makes a good fit for a small tournament playing Carmel West, Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill and this one if you want to get a theme going.

The greens can be rather wicked I will warn you right up front. Enjoy the unusual holes 12 and 13 back to back par 3's. Very interesting.

From Golf Digest:

"The first of the two Tom Fazio designs at Pelican Hill, The Ocean South course opened in 1991 and boasts striking Pacific Ocean vistas. Wide fairways, large undulating greens and fantastic conditions make for an enjoyable round on this coastal track."

The course is located south of LA at Newport Beach. Green fees for the general public are $314 to $415 per player.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Hard - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Hard - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... n_hill.zip

Hole 18, par 4 approach shot

Hole 14, par 5, third shot into the green

Hole 4 from the tee, dramatic par 3 downhill

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
pelican_hill-hole18_par4_approach.jpg
(225.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pelican_hill-hole14_par5_third.jpg
(221.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pelican_hill-hole4_tee.jpg
(270.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pelican_hill-splash.jpg
(25.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 30
First Weekly Venue
Carmel Point West Course

Where are we?
Big-Sur, California

I'm back from vacation and finally rejoined the WS tour, as it resumes regular play, now on its west coast swing. Our first stop is what I consider one of the elite courses on JN6, Carmel Point West Course by Scott Antes. Released in November of 1999, it does everything right, setting a standard for what was to come over the years. The course layout, each hole design, overheads, hazard placements, and greens speak for themselves. If you have not played this one, you are in for a treat. Remember that this was made during the very earliest days of the game.

Its par 71, 7204 yards

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Soft - pin 3 - 50% Fog
Round 2: Medium - Normal - pin 5

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... rmelpw.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Really great par 3's abound, this one isnumber 2, 168 yards seen off the tee

Hole 18, coming into the clubhouse on the approach shot

Third shot seen from the green on the 14th, par 5, 550 yards

Attachments
big_sur_ca.jpg
(49.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carmel_west-splash.jpg
(21.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carmel_west-2-168yds-par3-tee.jpg
(240.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carmel_west-18_477_par4_approach.jpg
(181.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carmel_west-14_550_third_fromgreen.jpg
(220.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 30
Second Weekly Venue
Links at Spanish Bay

Where are we?
Monterey, California

Still on our west coast swing, we play a British-style links course placed squarely at Monterey, The Links at Spanish Bay created for us by Tall Al in April 2007. This is a real world course and the following is a summary from a Pebble Beach area webpage:

"Meandering among sweeping sand dunes along 17-Mile Drive, The Links at Spanish Bay unveils some of the most spectacular seaside views in Pebble Beach. The rolling fairways flow through and around the gorgeous dunescape, briefly weaving between towering Monterey Pines, before returning to the white sand of Spanish Bay Beach for a thrilling finish along the wind-swept coast.

A twilight round is punctuated by the tunes of the famed Spanish Bay bagpiper, who puts the course to bed every evening.

Spanish Bay is ranked among the best public courses in the state and the country, and annually hosts the pros during the TaylorMade Pebble Beach Invitational."

Think of this as prep for this summer when we will be deep into our European tour portion of the WS.

Tall Al also gave us
Atlanta Athletic Club
Carnoustie 2003
Muirfield 2004 version
Old Head Golf Links (competing with the incredible Jay Johnson version)
Poppy Hills (competing with the really nice Terry Armstrong version we recently played)
Royal Birkdale
Royal Liverpool
The Dunes at Maui Lani

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - pin 1
Round 2: Mild - Normal - pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... sh_bay.zip

Par 4, 434 yards, hole 12 from the tee

The par 3 number 13. A 125 yard short one seen from the green

452 yards, par 4, number 5 seen on the approach

Attachments
monterey.jpg
(48.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
spanish_bay-splash.jpg
(21.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
spanish_bay-par4_434yds_hole12_tee.jpg
(256.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
spanish_bay-par3_hole13_125_fromgreen.jpg
(251.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
spanish_bay-hole5_452yds_par4_approach.jpg
(180.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 31
First Weekly Venue
Chaparral Valley Golf Course

Where are we?
Southern foothills, California

Shelby Sanborn treated us in June 2001 to Chaparral Valley Golf Course a fictional par 70, 6506 yard journey in a 'ghost town' As he shows us through the abandoned nearby buildings, the course is built on the remains of a once prosperous town, now left with only its memories. The course is in southern California, specifically the foothills. Its interesting, with six par 3's! You won't find many sounds for atmosphere, however the visuals are nice.

Shelby gave us several nice ones including:
Acacia Hills (coming soon to our tour!)
Greyledge CC (also coming soon!)
Katahdin Springs
Ocean View GC
Ginn Farm

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - pin 3
Round 2: Mild - Hard - pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... Valley.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 10
Tarheel's .round files
Par 4, hole 1, closeup at the green looking to one of the abandoned buildings

527 yards, par 5 number 16, third shot coming into the green across water (you can go for the green in two with a big drive)

159 yards, par 3 number 11 from the tee, closeup

Attachments
so_cal-foothills.jpg
(40.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
chaparral_valley-splash.jpg
(21.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
chaparral_valley-401yds_par4_hole1_building.jpg
(239.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
chaparral_valley-527yds_par5_no16_third.jpg
(192.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
chaparral_valley-159yds_no11_tee_par3.jpg
(186.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on April 7th, 2024, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 31
Second Weekly Venue
Golden Gate Heights

Where are we?
San Francisco, California

July 2023. That was a fantastic month because this challenging 7510 yard, par 72 golf course created by Steve Holden saw its first golfers take the challenge of pit bunkers, water hazards and long approaches (from narrow fairways), often with the famous Golden Gate Bridge lurking behind the trees here at Golden Gate Heights. You get a wonderful trip through light forests, with interesting rock formations scattered about before you get a trip to the bayside and playing over water. Honestly, this is probably my favorite course Steve has created, and I would love to see another course like this created around the theme of a famous landmark, placed so naturally in the background. He has created so many absolute 10/10 courses over the last couple of decades, its bananas...but this one is really super special.

This course could easily be a real country club from the visuals and the course and hole layouts. Each hole has a distinct character and challenge. And a real nice addition is a few holes with very significant elevation change.

For anyone who has not being following along, we played four of Steve's courses at the early part of this seasons WST and also on the PGA Tarheel tour, got a chance to enjoy a couple as well. Never a disappointment.

This will complete the WS West Coast swing in high fashion. Overall, these four courses make for a great group that could easily be a PGA regular series of events. Carmel Point West, The Links at Spanish Bay, Chaparral Valley GC and Golden Gate Heights. You really must play all four of them in succession.

Beware! It can get pretty windy in San Francisco bay.

Our next week trip carries us to the desert.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Strong - Normal - pin 2
Round 2: Medium - Normal - pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... eights.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Par 3, number 12 at 214 yards, seen from the green up to the tee.

We have here number 1, a par 4, 463 yard hole with the bridge seen behind as the player chips to the green. You may find yourself in this sort of situation often here.

Tee shot on number 7, a par 5, 578 yarder with water to your right.

Attachments
Golden_Gate_Heights-splash.jpg
(28.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golden_Gate_Heights-no12_214_par3.jpg
(202.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golden_Gate_Heights-no1_463yds_chip_neargreen_par4.jpg
(241.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golden_Gate_Heights-no7_578yds_tee_par5.jpg
(240.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sanfran.jpg
(74.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 32
First Weekly Venue
Sonora Country Club

Where are we?
Sonoran desert, southwest US or nearby Mexico

With a really great series of courses in California now done, the WS tour travels a little east into the Sonoran desert in the SW USA and nearby regions of Mexico for our next challenge. This week and next week we will take part in a series of desert courses, with Sonora Country Club being a fantastic opener.

This one is par 72, 7111 yards and dates its release to April 2008. Galen could probably tell you more himself about its history, but it appears to have been the work of Galen Geier and Dirk Ephlin (the later of whom will be featured in a designer break later this season). Last year on the PGATarheel tour, I had the pleasure of playing the Sonora Par 3 companion to this course, so go back and try it while you are here! Link: https://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 967#p11967

I really like the details on this one, not just from the tee, but often when you see the reverse view as the ball is incoming. Hole 2 has some old buildings, including a church, which is a really nice touch.

I'm playing first couple of rounds early this week since I'll be leaving mid-week for a couple of days.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Hard - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... ora_cc.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Par 3, 152 yards hole 11 seen on closeup from the tee

Par 4, number 17 seen from the green back. The hill work on the right is really well done, especially when your tee shot comes from behind it

Hole 2, 484 yards, par 4 from the tee. Notice the three buildings, including the old church peeking out from the left and to the right of the front building.

Attachments
sonora.jpg
(43.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sonora_CC-splash.jpg
(22.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sonora_CC-hole11_152_par3_teeclose.jpg
(205.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sonora_CC-hole17_par4_410_fromgreen_hillformation.jpg
(172.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sonora_CC-hole2_484_par4_buildings_tee.jpg
(200.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 32
PGA Signature Event
The Masters: Augusta National

Augusta National is traditionally a very difficult challenge, and that was quite evident on day 2 this year as the field could hardly manage even par. The version for JN6 we are playing comes from Philip and Chad, released in 2014. Its spectacular and realistically difficult. A nice touch is the inclusion of the crowds watching on. We are fortunate to have several versions of Augusta to choose from, dating back a couple of decades plus, and each has its own character. Last year I played four of them on the PGATarheel tour, which you may want to look at. If I had to decide, I would call this the definitive version, but each of the four I played were top notch.

Unfortunately, its just one round for us this year, but hopefully it will prepare you for your TV watching on Sunday.

PLAY INFORMATION

ONE ROUND: Medium - Normal - pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... erouin.zip

Hole 16, "Redbud" from the tee, par 3

"Firethorn" number 15, par 5, looking back over the water from the green; lay up or go for it?

The par 4 number 17, "Nandina" seen from the tee, hitting out of the chute.

Attachments
augusta_splash.jpg
(25.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta-Redbud_par3_16_tee.jpg
(209.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta-firethorn_no15_par5_overwater.jpg
(161.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta-nandina_no17_tee_close.jpg
(238.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 32
Second Weekly Venue
Hang 'em High

Where are we?
Somewhere in the plains/desert of the SW USA

Our next stop is a great golf course, claimed by Galen Geier as his "10th and last release" which pays homage to Clint Eastwood and a classic film of the same name. (As an aside, I love those classic Eastwood westerns...my favorite probably being "High Plains Drifter" which leaves you wondering who the stranger is even in the end. Is he a vengeful relative, a ghost come to life, an opportunist, a vengeful angel, or even Satan himself. I never get tired of those series of westerns by the master of gunslinging and witty lines):

"I don't think its nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."

Well back to the course. This course appears to be out in the plains/desert of the west. I'm not sure where exactly, but I'm going to say New Mexico though I've never been to that region of the US. Maybe Galen himself could tell us. Hang 'Em High is par 70, 7141 yards and was released in 2021. I was begging for a par 5 to have a chance at birdie (which the 4's are very stingy about), but only got two (par 5's) in the end to play. Its thrillingly thematic, with customs to bring you into the period. Greens are challenging, and there is water, often within a pace of causing trouble. I think the course is difficult and I think its perfectly done to fit the intended tribute.

Its also dedicated to the missed Acemeister, Sarge, and Wormburner; all three of whom used to play my original Worldswing tour and the Ham Hoc Tours. All round great guys. Sarge used to send me disks of golf courses in the mail. I say a prayer of thanks for all.

I don't think its fair for this to be Galen's last course ;)

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Strong - Hard - Pin 2
Round 2: Mild - Normal - Pin 5

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... m_high.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Number 14, 397 yard par 4, from the tee

Number 5, a par 4, 448 yard seen from the green with golfer hitting approach in the distance (notice the structure on your right)

Third shot into the green on the par 5, 6th. 564 yards. We are viewing from water on right of fairway, and you will notice the wooden structure near the green

Attachments
west_plains_desert.jpg
(33.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hangemhigh-splash.jpg
(20.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hangemhigh-14_397_par4_tee.jpg
(169.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hangemhigh-5_448_approach_fromgreen.jpg
(193.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hangemhigh-6_564_par5_third.jpg
(223.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on April 25th, 2024, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

This is a really great course by Galen and the textures are fantastic. And I love the dedication to Sarge, Acemeister and Wormburner. Really miss those guys. Sarge and Ace are the reason I started designing again. They sent me emails once a week urging me to try my hand at JN6 and when I finally gave it a shot they would play test every design for me. Such wonderful people. They played a round every day together and when Ace passed away Sarge was just devastated. Wormburner still played JNSE and would always send me tidbits about their tournaments.

Love following your WS Tour Tarheel!!