Tournament Playoffs

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Tournament Playoffs

Post by stillgolfing »

As a newbie, I'm currently playing 1 course at a time in Local (Tournament ?) mode and selecting "2 players" and "random" for my computer opponent. The last course I played, upon completion there was a tie and a playoff was required. Next I got a window that stated Andy Malina won. Under what circumstances does a playoff occur? I'm assuming if any two players tie, computer or real, a playoff occurs. Is this correct? Also, if I was good enough to tie would I get in an actual playoff or would the PC just randomize it like it appeared to this time?
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Tournament Playoffs

Post by bryce »

A playoff or suden death has to be chosen in order for it to happen in either season mode or a regular local round. If you want a playoff to occur if there is a tie, just make sure this box is checked:
playoff.JPG
(96.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you are playing in season mode and are using one of the seasons available in the utilities section, sudden death should be checked for every event. You can always check by the 'edit season' option.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

bryce wrote:A playoff or suden death has to be chosen in order for it to happen in either season mode or a regular local round. If you want a playoff to occur if there is a tie, just make sure this box is checked:
playoff.JPG
If you are playing in season mode and are using one of the seasons available in the utilities section, sudden death should be checked for every event. You can always check by the 'edit season' option.
Bryce;
Thanks for the visual. Yes, I had sudden death selected and was playing the pro roster, so I'm assuming two or more (computer) roster players tied and the game selected a winner. I guess the n the only unanswered question is, if I tie with a computer player do I get to actually playoff or is the game going to do some rhandom calc and automatically select a winner?
Cheers, Dave
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dave! If YOU are playing and tie you will get to play. However it will be hole #1. I wish it would let you choose
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

SteveHorn wrote:Dave! If YOU are playing and tie you will get to play. However it will be hole #1. I wish it would let you choose
Thanks Steve. At the level I'm playing at now it's probably not an issue, but I was curious.
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I can inform you that as far as the 2011 Season goes, in the final (4th) round playoffs are NOT selected. I keep my own stats and when a playoff happens you can't print out the tournament scoresheet, so... but as Steve and Bryce have said all you have to do is go into season edit, select the event, select the course for the 4th round, and click on the SD box. As far as rounds 1-3 go it doesn't matter if it's checked or not. WARNING: Make sure that it doesn't change the course when you make your edit; sometimes it'll replace your tourney course with whatever course you happen to be playing (or have been playing) at the time.

I am surprised it didn't allow you to go into the playoff with your AI guy though. I don't recall it ever doing this to me. :shrug:
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on May 3rd, 2011, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Indy Anna Jones wrote:I can inform you that as far as the 2011 Season goes, in the final (4th) round playoffs are NOT selected. I keep my own stats and when a playoff happens you can't print out the tournament scorecard, so... but as Steve and Bryce have said all you have to do is go into season edit, select the event, select the course for the 4th round, and click on the SD box. As far as rounds 1-3 go it doesn't matter if it's checked or not. WARNING: Make sure that it doesn't change the course when you make your edit; sometimes it'll replace your tourney course with whatever course you happen to be playing (or have been playing) at the time.

I am surprised it didn't allow you to go into the playoff with your AI guy though. I don't recall it ever doing this to me. :shrug:
Judy, thanks for your input. Always appreciated. You and Dar and your continuing support are the main reason I have hung in here, even though the problems I have experienced with the game to date are now really starting to P/Z me off :/ .
The reason I started this thread is, the playoff "mode" appeared to be confusing. I don't think I ever implied that I thought I should be in a playoff. In the example I alluded to, I shot +14. Apparently it turns out I'm currently an 8 handicap (don't have any idea where that number came from, but that's how my score posted at the end of the game). My opponent shot +7 (so I beat the FKR) end of story! :bg: However, we were playing a 1 Tournament round with the standard Pro Tour players, and after the imaginary computer playoff some guys name I didn't recognized popped up as the winner. I Just wanted a simple explanation about this process, but apparently it's like pulling teeth. As I mentioned in another thread, I wish I had my original manual ('cause I'm pretty sure it explained these kind of game related things, but I no longer have it. Them's the breaks I guess! :(
Still hanging in there, Dave :/
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

stillgolfing wrote:The reason I started this thread is, the playoff "mode" appeared to be confusing. I don't think I ever implied that I thought I should be in a playoff.
Good, because we don't want another Dustin Johnson incident!!
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

bryce wrote:
stillgolfing wrote:The reason I started this thread is, the playoff "mode" appeared to be confusing. I don't think I ever implied that I thought I should be in a playoff.
Good, because we don't want another Dustin Johnson incident!!
Nice one Bryce! No smilies though, so I guess you could be serious :shrug: .
Since you have decided to be so helpful in following up on this issue, I think it's imparative I make it clear I'm now concerned that, without your continued support, I will be unable to resolve any future problems. Also, It is unfortunate that in the past your type of input was not available to the Commitee on Terrorist Activities, then the Yanks would have been able to nab bin Ladin 10 years ago. :bg:
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Dave, you manage to confuse me 2 or 3 times a week, lol... but I'm not complaining; it's good for the brain.

Ok, as I understand PGA:
1. Whatever players appear in the "selected list" window are (or should be) the only players in your game. It doesn't matter if you have 10 lists with 1500 players on the "available" side... they're not in the game.
2. You can select "playoff" for any type of game, single scoring (stableford, medal, skins) or team play (greensome, bloodsome, scramble, ryder, or 4 ball.) IIRC skins will carry over a halved 9th/18th hole whether you've checked the box or not.
3. If you're playing a game or tournament (18 or 72 holes) with PO checked and players other than you tie, the game will simulate additional holes until a winner is determined. (Just in case you didn't know this factoid: In scorecard mode (shift+s) or at the end of the round/tourney you can see the results of all your players by clicking "leaderboard" just above "name.") If you're in the PO the hole should be played with your participation... I think. I don't use PO in my season league and I'd have to do some research (ie, play 9 holes and end in a tie including myself... :eek: .... that could take a while!

Now WHY a non-player in the event won... No idea. :confused: