Oldie but Goodie: Wildflower

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Oldie but Goodie: Wildflower

Post by bryce »

Wildflower was released on May 13, 2003 by the most prolific designer PGA 2000 has to offer, Robert@. The course is a par 72 and plays around 6,900 yards. There are no course notes. I can only put 3 pics on the reviews in this forum, so I will post the more relevant ones.

The first thing you will notice when you click on Wildflower is 'You Spin Me Right Round' playing. I love Robert's music choices for his courses! If you play Wildflower with high winds and very dry greens you will be spinning right round, and back to the clubhouse for a drink or 7.

The first hole will give you an idea of how this course will be throughout....beautiful and tough! I suggest using the overhead view on EVERY shot to allow you to see any trouble ahead. A par 5 to start with is always nice, but a bad tee shot will cause a high score out of the gate:
wf1.JPG
(151.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Robert's designs are not usually difficult because of their length, but because of the layout and placement of trees. Pick your poison on this tee shot, although I did clear the gap on the right easily with a 3W:
wf3.JPG
(209.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Aside from the trees in great locations, Wildflower also has another defense: the greens. Robert@ has always had challenging greens and these are no exception. There are so many little mounds, humps and levels, it makes me feel like I'm at one of the courses in the Pinehurst area:
wfgreens.JPG
(175.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I played them on very dry and putted about average for me. There are a couple of pins that have no room for a miss of any kind, so don't go with any faster speed than you usually play on.

My favorite hole is the finishing hole. It's a par 4 of just over 400 yards, but requires either a layup off of the tee, or a massive hook to get around the trees and stay clear of a bunker. You really have to play smart on the hole, unlike me who made an 8 :/ . A great finishing hole.

Overall, Wildflower is one of my top 10 Robert@ courses, which means top 50 for PGA 2000. It's just what we have come to expect from @; a great layout with trees and water in places that you need to aim at, challenging greens that will force you to play under the hole, etc. Robert's courses are usually pretty small, but you get soooo much for 13MB with this one!

Thank you Robert@ for all of your work!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Oldie but Goodie: Wildflower

Post by SteveHorn »

Man its been awhile since I've played Wildflower. I think it was a stop on my Tour as the Canadian Open 3 or 4 years ago. Loved it.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Re: Oldie but Goodie: Wildflower

Post by Robert@ »

I guess it is an oldie..almost 8 years old. Man where has the time gone. Thanks for reliving this one!