convertion pga2000 into tw02

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
gova
Chronic Slicer

convertion pga2000 into tw02

Post by gova »

Hi,

just recently rediscovered TW02 and converted PGA 2000 original stock courses into TW02 and they converted and looked great.

I then discovered that designer courses did not convert properly and those that did exaggerated the yardages in the score sheet and did not look as good as the stock courses.

I am happy that I can play, at least the original 14 stock courses, but just curious whether there is any solution to the problem.

I have Links03, GBC, TW08 and PGA2000 and all great games, so I am just doing this for fun.

Thanks
Brian
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: convertion pga2000 into tw02

Post by SteveHorn »

Gova! I had no idea that doing that was possible! I haven't played a TW game in along time. Found it to easy. If a game isn't challenging my skills I just don't find it that fun.
J.J.
Chronic Slicer

Post by J.J. »

I remember doing this when Headgate moved to TW and incorporated a conversion tool for PGA2000 courses. I only converted one - mine (Mayfield Manor), just to see how it looked. Admittedly it did look quite good except for one thing - the water textures became some random weedrough! I don't believe there was ever any fix provided and the conversion tool disappeared from future TW releases.
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Thanks for the comments and Steve, I agree it is easier, but a refreshing change from the PGA2000 game play which is the most difficult of them all.

I have the lastest computer and all the stock courses come up very good with the video card.

I just hope there is someone left that can solve my problem, as I would love play the fantastic PGA2000 courses in the TW mode and make they easier for a change.

TW02 like PGA2000 have no direction arrow that has any meaning, but at least the Caddie is of some help.

Cheers
Brian
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

TW02 is the original TW game for EA, right? Which means it would be the first TW rendition after Headgate left Sierra for EA, and probably the closest in code to PGA2K. I'm wondering if you have tried to convert any of the custom courses which only use the original stock libraries? Go to the courses dl section and look for those courses with an N/A in the custom library section. It's possible that there's something in the custom libes that's incompatible with TW, as far as my small mind can reason it out. :confused:
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Hi Indy,

I will give that a try!

Thanks
Brian
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I know that there have been custom courses converted successfully in the past. Steve Opfer converted his courses after going into the architect file and cleaning things up a bit. Most of the designers who converted their courses though are long gone right now. You could check on coursedownloads.net at the forums and see if you could get in touch with Steve Opfer over there. I am sure that he has the most experience with this issue - the good, the bad and the ugly. He has since gone on to design courses for the TW platform. IIRC, the main issues are with taking a 2D hybrid and translating that to entirely 3D. I was excited when the feature was put in - even enticed me to pick up a copy of TW - because it was a sad day around here when Headgate Studios no longer was working on the PGA engine. It seemed like a great way to bring the community to TW but it never really worked out that way. I only have TW 08 now and rarely play it anymore - girls have no interest in it at all. It just does not have the right combination for us I guess but I will say that TW 2012 is graphically impressive. I hope I have at least pointed you in the right direction. Good luck!
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Hi Sand Wedge,

Thanks for the advise and I will follow up.

It does appear that following Indy advice I converted courses that did not use other libraries other the stock and It worked OK except the score sheet has blown out the yardages for some reason.

The courses themselves look very good.

So thanks to Indy for her great suggestion, as I was surprised how many course only use stock libraries.

Like you TW08 not my preferred choice, but great to have a nice easy round and very colourful.

Cheers
Brian