What's in your bag?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: What's in your bag?

Post by bryce »

D2 gives you more loft than D1. It will carry farther, but distance will vary depending on if fairways are wet or hilly or if you even hit the fairway (I have that problem). I use D2 because it will carry farther. The D1 has a lower ball flight, but will generally go a few yards farther after it rolls out. A 4W will have more loft than a 1 or 2 iron definitely, and most people use those to carry over things. Since there are no hybrids to choose from, I assuem alot of people use the 4W-7W as a hybrid type of club. I use a 5W in real life that I hit higher than I hit my 5 iron. It probably works about the same in the game.

Doron
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

This is helpful. Seems like more loft might mean less distance so does anyone have a system? What I mean is how much do you adjust your stance and what is the gain in loft and loss in distance for each increment of change? Or is that something no one has charted ever?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I have always figured that every inch you move the ball up in your stance you lose around 10 yards with any club. You will also pick up some backspin if you do this with a wedge, and maybe with short irons on wet greens. If you put the ball back in your stance it's about the opposite, you lose 10 yards.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I like to have clubs avalible that I know I can get up in the air. If I want a lower ball flight I can hit a slight draw if needed with most clubs. Hitting a draw for me is a little risky at times though. It depends mostly on my lie. Hitting a draw is easier with lofted clubs. In high winds in my face sometimes I'll hit a punch shot but everything needs to be right so you get the distance with all that roll. A punch is a much riskier shot but can work well under the right circumstances. I also hit alot of flop shots on approaches and on par 3's. The ball will fade to the right if your right handed. The longer the shot the more it fades and it can fade ALOT (think slice). Takes alot of practice to fill comfortable with these other types of shots but they can lower your scores if you use them properly.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I wish I could hit a draw with my trueswinger :/ I hit a hook/draw with every shot, even wedges.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I have observed that anything over 7 feet (either below the ball or above the ball) will affect the distance of a full swing. I have also observed that hitting over water has the same effect as hitting to a spot above you. I have never charted it but it might be fun to try. That does not help trueswingers though as there are more intangibles there than just a swing meter. I feel like a tri-clicker gets the Iron Byron swing and the true-swinger gets a swing more customized to his individual timing and coordination. Charting things could be considered cheating but hey, true-swingers have their straight edges so why can't us tri-clickers have a chart? :laugh:
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I have 2 players....one clicker and one vertical trueswing. Believe it or not, most of us long time players don't use a straight edge, which is probably why I hit a draw/hook/pull all the time. I do find that my triclicker hits the ball lower for some reason. I've never really understood it, but I just adjust to it. I also hit the ball a little shorter with irons and farther with the D2 using a clicker. My truswing player has a scoring average of 70.2 and my clicker is 70.1. I don't know how I have magaged to do that, but I like competing against myself in season mode. Short game is way better with the clicker, but tee to green my trueswinger is much better (88% GIR).

Just some random info I thought you would find interesting

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I have an odd setup: D1, 2W, 4W, 1I, 2I, 3I, 5I, 6I, 8I, 9I, PW, SW, LW, Putter. I like to have the long irons for long bunker shots because woods don't work as well out of the bunkers in this game. When I'm at a distance that requires a 4i or 7i I go a club up and +2 on the stance as this takes about a club of distance off. I'll also sometimes go between +.25 to +1.75 on the stance if I think I'm between clubs. I too have a natural draw so a lot of times I will also click on the fade shot type to counter this.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

So, true-swing gets the ball on the green more? This is the worst part of my game - GIR - about 57% at present. This is actually what sparked my original post - looking to find a way to get dialed in from the fairway. I hit the ball very straight and I putt very well but landing on the green is what does me in all the time. If I could figure it out, I would probably shoot -8 or better every round because the rest of my cyber game holds up well. Funny, in real life I have the same problem :laugh: Wonder if it is a feel thing or a computer thing???

Brian do you use the true-swing method as well - you did not mention. I like the idea to have a 1 or 2 iron to hit for fairway bunkers - not sure if I would need to carry the clubs though as my issue is not in finding the fairway but in finding the green - that's where I land in the sand.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Sandwedge! I also am in the low 50% area of GIR. I think Its mainly due to shooting at the flag a little more then I should. But thankfully chipping is probably my strongest area of my game. I have know idea how many chipins I have over my career but I know I had 86 last season and well over 500 for my career.