Members and new members introduce yourself

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Members and new members introduce yourself

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

A big welcome again to our new members and returners (hi Linda!). Thought I'd bump this back up to the top. Newbies please take a moment and introduce (reintroduce) yourselves!
:wavey:
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Mr Whiffle is here.

Welcome, Mark
Time for another course. :bg:
Stan
dekalb
Range Rookie

Post by dekalb »

Hello,
My name is Chris (nickname Dekalb) and i am located in France (sorry for my poor english...)
I am very happy to see that a PGA2000 golf communauty still alive through times.
I was used to play this game (PGA 99 too...) years ago and since i have tried golf for real, i find this video game really easy, ah ah..!
I knew copyright club too, it was a very good web site, with all these real courses downloads (Augusta, TPC Sawgrass,...). Thanks again for all courses designers, very great works.
I have just reinstall the game on vista (no problem) and under seven on a netbook (no problem, except the small screen).

Just one question : what about online tournaments ? Is it possible to create some ?

See you !
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Welcome Chris!
Since WON shutdown the internet game site in 2007, some of us have been playing on Kali, but Vista and Seven don't support IPX/LAN (which Kali uses) unfortunately. Other than about 10 people, I don't know who else plays online.

Some of us have downloaded the 2011 PGA Tour schedule and 2010 PGA players list and play the season mode, but due to lack of people and our varied schedules online tourneys are pretty much a thing of the past. :( IIRC the last time an offline tournament was attempted (2 or 3 years ago?) not many people were interested.
billy ventresca
Novice

Post by billy ventresca »

:wavey: Hi everyone. I go by the golfer name Billy Ventresca and I am glad to see that there is still a community for this great game! I played originally back in 1999-2010 and went by the name of hennie bogan. What a great time that was. I was stationed with the Navy in Iceland and there wasn't much else to do after work except drink and play this game online! I just bought the game again on Ebay and am waiting for delivery... Pasatiempo on the trial version gets old! How I ever lost my original version I have no idea... I hope to be able to play online with you all again one day... I have to figure it all out again... why this game ever fizzled I'll never be able to figure out...was it the advent of Tiger Woods 2000? It seemed like hundreds were on line everyday back in the day... what a blast! I just downloaded a bunch of courses and libraries again and am getting ready to play them all very soon. I built two courses back then Chevy Chase and Rob Roy. they are poorly constructed but I had fun building them with alot of rum and cokes. Thank you for still having a forum for this game! See you around the links!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Henny Bogan! Talk about deja vu all over again. Just a few days ago we were playing online and talking about people we could never beat. Search your memory for Vera Wilde... that was my game name on '99 back in '01.

It's still possible to play online on Kali and using Teamspeak. It'll never be like it was before WON shut down where you can just show up and get a game, but if you're interested set a time. 3 of us play Mon-Fri at 3:30 EDT and a fourth is always welcome. Dar and some of his friends play around the same time. Whatever help you need with Kali/Teamspeak Dar is a good resource.

I don't recall Rob Roy but played Chevy Chase not too long ago. Btw, dl Dar's list of "A" courses, which includes around 250 of the best courses available. You'll be amazed at how great some of the later courses look.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Billy,

Welcome back to PGA2000. Yep, there are still a few of us old war horses around playing this silly game. Always good to see some of the old faces come back.

If you have any technical questions, just post them in the technical section of the forum. Lots of good folks around willing to help....

We still are able to play on line using the Kali host. It is more limited than the old WON days, but at least we can get online. You need windows XP or lower to use Kali. Kali uses the IPX packet protocol. Unfortunately, mother Microsoft removed IPX from Windows Vista and Windows 7. :mad: IPX support is still in Windows XP.

Again, welcome back.
Dar (aka Tincup) :wavey:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Welcome to Billy. Always good to hear from someone new to the forum. Don't know how many courses you've downloaded before but the count is over 1600 avalible with appox. 25% being A- list quality by someone. That means if you played a different course every day it would take you almost 4 and one half years to play them all. Or only 13 months to play all the top tier ones.
billy ventresca
Novice

Post by billy ventresca »

I remember well Vera! Tin Cup! Wow! What great times. That ladder was so much fun! Especially at my time of day which was usually on the weekends Iceland time (7 to 8 hours ahead of you all) with a good rum and coke/s at my side. How can all this be brought back some more? For now I am downloading coureses like crazy and playing all the old ones as well as new. I am definitely downloading Tri City, Ridges, Bullseye, Homestead, and Wisconsin River Golf Club designed by Brian Zager. All those courses are in my new hometown of Wisconsin Rapids since departing the Navy in 2007. I know Brian has played these courses and am looking forward to the realism. Too much snow this year! Arghhhhhh! Have a great day! Thanks for the welcome!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Nice to have you here. Hope you enjoy the site.

Also really nice and quite a surprise to have someone here who has actually played the real courses I made. You can give them a true evaluation. :laugh:

Homestead and version 1 of Tri-City are from way back in the 1999-2003 days where I basically just free handed it from memory. Not real accurate but you can probably recognize the holes.

Wisconsin River was the first course I did based on satellite photos and contour maps so it's a little rougher than later courses as I was still learning but still miles better than the previous courses.

Version 2 of Tri-City incorporates this technique for a lot more realistic version. Also on the same plot I did Bull's Eye which is sort of the opposite of my early courses as it is based only on satellite photos and contour maps, and some photos. I've never actually played there. Most of the green contours are fictional. I'm actually going to play there this year as me and my dad went in together on the six round pass thing they have going now so I'm looking forward to seeing what I got right and wrong.

I consider The Ridges to be my best/most accurate rendition. DEMs became available at this point so that made general elevations a lot easier to do, no more contour maps to deal with. I also tried to push texture blending as far as the game would allow. I don't think I could do anything better on it. Although it is a few years out of date now, for example they've removed most of the big bunker on the 4th fairway and a couple other minor changes.