New Index out

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ADC
Tour Contender

New Index out

Post by ADC »

So, as of today, I'm officially a 7.1 all around handicap. Shatters my old low. Looks like hard work paid off.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: New Index out

Post by DC#1 »

Are we talking real or PC golf? I need to know what I'm getting into. LOL I assume that is real golf which very good.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

That's a better round of golf then I can play - great job :up: Can you do that at Bethpage Black? - now that would be really impressive :)
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Good job Alex! Unfortunately, the index is a bit unfair.....last year, I was down to a 2.6 handicap, but occasionally would shoot 85 or so. If you play any tournaments, know which holes you get strokes on!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

LOL, yeah, I guess I could have been plainer.

It's real golf. And I agree, Bryce, the handicap index is a little off. I'm not sure if that's the math or the expectations we use. A 2 is phenomenal, and yeah, my I'd love to be that low. But as I've become a better golfer, I guess what I've learned is that bad shots happen all the time, right? It really is a game of staying calm and recovering when things don't go according to plan.

Highlight of my last round was -2 for a stretch of 5 the other day. Cold easily have been -4, as two putts just hung on the edge. I didn't close the 9 well, but still. That was fun.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Yeah, I was challenging par every round for a spell last year. As of right now I have dropped to a 5.5, and despite not being at last years level, I am still pleased with shooting 77-83 pretty much every round in the last 2 months.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Nice playing guys! I got my handicap down to 7.8 last year right before I had my gallbladder surgery. I had to take a month off from golf after that and when I did come back I put in some bad rounds in the fall, then came the winter break and some more bad rounds coming out of that in the spring got me into the 11's but I've worked my way back down to a 9.6 currently.

I agree that the handicap system can be off. I find that for me the course ratings are too bias towards the length in factoring difficulty. I played a 7,200 yard course two weeks ago and shot an 82. It was a good round but I felt like I could average around that on that course if I played it all the time. The rating is 75.0/131 which for 82 is a differential of 6.0. However the courses I normally play around my area are only around 6,000 yards but they are narrower so I find them just as hard and also usually shoot in the low 80's. The course ratings are around 70/125 and that usually gives me differentials in the 8 to 12 range. I think if I played that long course as much as I played the shorter courses my handicap would be in the 5 - 6 area. I don't consider myself a supper long hitter either. I hit it about 260-270 on average off the tee. I do hit my long irons well though and that helps me on the longer courses I guess. My biggest problem right now is my putting. I'm a good lag putter but I have a hard time making putts, both in reading greens and in getting them started on the line I'm looking at. That hurts me on the shorter courses because I might hit it closer but I still don't make the birdie putts.

This weekend I'm playing in that tournament put on by the local TV station again that was at Bull's Eye last year. This year it's at a course I've never played until today...but I shot an 82 and pared 10 out of the last 11 holes in my practice round today so I'm feeling pretty good about it.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Good luck Brian! Are you going to post the site where we can keep up with you again?

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks! As soon as I know where, I'll post a link.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Looks like the scores will be posted here: http://wsgaclub.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/w ... /index.htm

Currently it only shows the senior event which is Thursday-Friday. I assume they'll be adding something for the main event there by Saturday.