CustomPlay Golf

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ADC
Tour Contender

CustomPlay Golf

Post by ADC »

Ok, so I read about this on this site, and am just wondering if anyone here has much experience with it. I love PGA, won't abandon it for the world, but creating a course can be so labor intensive. I can't find any in-depth reviews of CPG, and am just wondering if anyone here has any comparisons to make.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: CustomPlay Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

You'll need a pretty high end computer to play it, it's all 3D graphics. They got the mouse swing right finally about a year ago but I still couldn't play it much until I got my new computer at the beginning of this year. Now I play it pretty regularly. Very realistic simulation game play. The putting surpasses PGA2000. No suction cup hole, you have to get your speed right. Tee to green I'd say they are equals since the mouse swing update last year.

As far as the architect it has some nice features that PGA2000 doesn't like bringing satellite images directly into the program for doing real courses. There's still some little things about it that annoy me yet like the fact that you have to click 3 times to delete anything instead of just using the delete key. Another one is how you have to Control Click every single control point on a shape if you want to select more then one but not all. The good thing is they are continuously developing it. I'd say you get an update about once every 2 weeks.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I was in on some of the development of this game. They wanted me to design stock-courses for the initial release. I thought the game-play was terrible and required a a super-computer to even run it smoothly. The development team didn't want to take any suggestions from me on designer tools/features so I bowed-out! I was pretty disappointed in the game and I wouldn't buy it even if I had a computer powerful enough to run it!

That's just my 2-cents and it's probably not even worth the 2 pennies!

RDW
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah I was on the beta team from the beginning with CPG1 in 2005 and I was trying to tell them how to do the mouse swing right all that time and they didn't finally get it right until July 2009. I had pretty much given up on the idea and then one day out of the blue we had it. I guess they don't have many programmers so it takes them awhile to do things. The game has been good enough to make it worth buying since then in my opinion but there are definitely still issues like you said and I said in my first post. Unfortunately it's the only game out there actually being developed as a simulation at this point. I wish we had more options. Would be great if we could figure out how to just mod PGA 2000 to modernize it a little.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Yeah, like, would it ever be possible to increase club distances via a mod? So that full was 290 instead of 275? That little bit can sometimes mean a club or two difference.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Thats why alot of people recreate in PGA 2000 is to give them that extra yardage. Never played CPG.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

what do you mean by recreate?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Recreate: Play 9 holes then create a new golfer.

All golfers (tru-swing or clickers) lose yardage with experience; for clickers it doesn't seem to be a problem because the net yardage loss for the driver is maybe 20-25 yards. But along with the yardage loss comes consistency and better control; ie, if I hit my D2 in normal conditions with no wind and a flat landing area, I'm going to get about 260 through the air and a total of 280 yards.

For some reason, and I think it started when Windows upgraded from 98 to ME, a swinger loses much more yardage over time and with some even after 9 holes a driver might drop from 300 to 260 yards; "mushy" putts and chips are also a problem. There's no consistency and no control. So these players recreate a new player every 9 holes.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

That's one of the reasons that I like to play very dry greens, especially with my true swing player. I have problems hitting putts farther than 50 feet or so, on normal green settings. If I were to recreate, I could do it a little easier, but I like to accumulate stats for my players.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Ok, so I'm stuck with a computer that refuses to run PGA correctly. Customplay is working fine, though. I've got the demo, but do any of you know where I can get the full game? Not finding it online anywhere.