Courses for download?

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Guitarzan
Weekend Duffer

Re: Courses for download?

Post by Guitarzan »

Nope, I think we should just call it a day. Any of the solutions should've worked but it's a total mystery as to why they don't. Thanks for your help Viper, no need in knocking yourself out for this.

Cheers
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

No worries, I'll look into it because I'm quite certain this is an issue related with GBC and modern systems. Others may likely have the same problem in the future. There were a whole host of threads at Snuffy's site that would've related to this same problem. Being such an old game, the hardest part to resolving issues is the lack of feedback from users as there are so few. I will look into it but will definitely need some time.

One final thing, if you were using only courses from something like a CD just play with the other attributes under properties.
You can also go into a problem course, go to the security tab and allow full control if you are familiar with changing permissions.
Guitarzan
Weekend Duffer

Post by Guitarzan »

Yep I've checked all the permissions previously and no go. I even found and old thread about indexing that I tried to no avail. So strange that files off a disk will work. I'm so tempted to download some courses and put them on a disk and try to install them that way. Anyway, thanks again!
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Sorry fellas but, I believe those files from "IntheTour" are encrypted files. Possibly the files from Snuffy's Goldenbearsden.

For the courses to show in game you need 3 files.

Example:
Abbot's Bridge.course
Abbot's Bridge.CrsDat
Abbot's Bridge.Scores

randy
Guitarzan
Weekend Duffer

Post by Guitarzan »

Aaaaaaahhhh (the light goes on) . For a minute I thought I or my computer was going crazy. Thanks for shedding light on this! :D
Drackkor
Weekend Duffer

Post by Drackkor »

Everything from the game to anything is working 100% fine now. Just remember when you download a course it needs to go under the *Courses* folder.

When I first started downloading the courses back in the early 2000's they were being put into the wrong folder. This is for anyone new.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

gtejoe wrote: April 17th, 2022, 4:22 pm Sorry fellas but, I believe those files from "IntheTour" are encrypted files. Possibly the files from Snuffy's Goldenbearsden.

For the courses to show in game you need 3 files.

Example:
Abbot's Bridge.course
Abbot's Bridge.CrsDat
Abbot's Bridge.Scores

randy
The two courses I asked to test with, one was from "IntheTour" and is just the .course file and worked fine in my GBC installation. The other course is from my downloaded collection of courses and also works fine. I'm not totally certain what those other files you listed contain but they are likely just data files for things like course stats. The course should work in the game with just the .course file and the game would likely generate those extra files.

There is an issue between Windows and GBC. I thought my solution should solve the problem in every case. If another person comes up with the same issue as Guitarzan, I will look into it further. As there is only one user with issues at this stage, it's not enough confirmation to go looking for something that may be a specific problem on only the one user's system.

If Guitarzan can't get courses installed, I'll take a quick look anyhow at possibilities but atm I can only assume the issue is liable to be as much with his system as anything else until someone else complains of the same problem.
Captain Nemo
Weekend Duffer

Post by Captain Nemo »

"Great news! This is from a member of the GBC tour I received a message. Course downloads for many maybe all courses can be found here and you could even join the tour. https://gbc.inthetour.com/tours/jnct This is the LINK."

I was looking for courses to play in JN6 and found the above post. Is this Link still O.K.? It takes me to the site, but the Header buttons (COURSES, LOGIN etc.) are inop.
DEPRESSING FORTUNE COOKIES #3: Your rich uncle will die and leave you his incredible collection of wine bottle labels.
Drackkor
Weekend Duffer

Post by Drackkor »

Captain Nemo wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:09 pm "Great news! This is from a member of the GBC tour I received a message. Course downloads for many maybe all courses can be found here and you could even join the tour. https://gbc.inthetour.com/tours/jnct This is the LINK."

I was looking for courses to play in JN6 and found the above post. Is this Link still O.K.? It takes me to the site, but the Header buttons (COURSES, LOGIN etc.) are inop.
It works for me but it is slow for some reason. I use google browser no idea if this makes a difference but edge on something just won't work that's why I stopped using it. I have downloaded about 10 courses so far. also don't forget you may need to rename them under a .zip to unzip them under the courses folder.
aristocrat48
Chronic Slicer

Post by aristocrat48 »

I agree....it is painfully slow to search and download. I use Edge and Chrome and it makes no difference which one you use. But it does work...you just have to be patient!!! And then rename your downloaded files to "any name you want.zip". It will then unzip normailly.